Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '68 J code in great condition. It's the original 302 except it has a 600cfm 4 brl Hooley carb sitting on top. It runs pretty rich (gassy and exhausty smell), and my gas milage is about 11 mpg. I have the original motocraft 4 brl in a box, and I'm thinking about having it remanufactured. I feel the car will run better with the original and it will only cost about $250. Curious what others thought are on this?

Stay with the new carb and tinker with it, or remanufacture the old and keep it original ?!?!?!?

p.s. having trouble getting pic on this site, but they are viewable in my album section.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Doesn't really matter much, you can rebuild either one. If genuine gives you warmer fuzzies then have it rebuilt. It might be that the Holley just isn't set up/tuned to your car, but you should get better 11 depending on what gear ratio's you have. The holly wouldn't cost $250 to rebuild I wouldn't think -- $50 or so, and fairly easy to do yourself, or add another $50 for a shop to do it. I'd try getting it adjusted checked out first to see if you can get it running leaner.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/600-cfm_holley_1850_tech_applications/index.html

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I think a 'quick kit' is like 35 bucks at the parts store. If you have a vacuum gauge, you can dial the Holley in, before you spend the money on even a kit.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Yeah, the advice is all well and good, but he has a "Hooley" :buck:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts