Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is the ? i have for you all.
I started my Cat today and the amount of smoke that came out of the tailpipes was enough for me to stop the car and wait for it to clear so i could see!

Now do i go and have my motor rebuilt...OR

Do i look around for one that is already done and ready to roll.

OR Do i upgrade to another motor?

PLMK what you think
THANKS

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
do it

rebuild it for the experience, make it your way.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Other than the smoke does it run good?

How soon will need to be driving it again, is it your daily driver?

Seeing that you already have a 351C 2V there is no need to upgrade, unless you want(need) ungodly amounts of power. Just stick to upgrading components cam, rockers, pistons...etc.

I say rebuild it if you have another car to drive. If not find a engine that is already rebuilt or remanufactured. I would highly suggest getting one from a professional, there are no warranties if you build it yourself. Also a profesional job won't take as long a home rebuild.

Becareful buying an engine out of the classifieds I got royally screwed buying out of the paper. My first Cougar supposedly had a rebuilt 302. I took the heads off and found lots of water in the cylinders. There were new pistons, but the ridge at the top of the bore hadn't been removed, and there was no honing done. Even worse than this was the cam bearings had been replace without a cam bearing removal/installation tool. The bearings were so crooked that I couldn't even turn the cam, let alone remove it.

Just be careful, and do plenty of searching and you should come out alright.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
yes, dont go hog wild, keep in mind the main operating rpm range that you will be in. build around that, i have done some conservitive rebuilds that made great power for running around town. a 2v 351w single exhaust can run very well, i have a friend who has that set up and it has amazing low to mid range. Good balance of parts and make sure all end plays are right on and clean clean clean work area.
My first rebuild was a 67 289, i did it on the front porch of my old apartment, used a lot of hefty bags to keep the dust out.

·
Registered
889 Posts
the long or short of it

Premier makes some quality short or longblocks.If down time is a problem.You can do it in a weekend.They give you a 36,000 mile warr.If you know a mechanic he can save you some bucks and get itat cost.around 800.00-1200 Dan

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
rebuild it your self

If you can do it yourself or have the bottom end done profesioanly or short block it and do the top end yourself its good for experience and wether you do the whole thing or just the top end you will know that you did it right, i always worry that someone didnt take the time to recheck their work as many time as i will.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts