Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I would really like to know if i can change the front of the 71 cougar cause its ugly as sin, I would like to ask the gifted ones if its possable to change the front to a more slick and smooth front without all those bends in the pumper and so on? hope to ghet he lp so quick. Thanks a lot from aussie john

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
My recommendation would be to purchase a car you don't think is ugly. It will be far cheaper and easier in the end than trying to make a car you don't like look like one you do.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would second the idea of pursuing a car with a more palatable front end.

From there its just a simple task of cutting off everything behind the firewall and grafting on the back half of your 71 cougar! Mmhmm, much easier....:lolani:

·
Registered
5,883 Posts

+-------------------------------------------------+ | | | | | THIS PLACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT SHANKED | | | | |
+------------------------------------ +-------------------------------------------------+</pre>

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
maybe you should buy a Plymouth Superbird and remove the front end from that and put it on the Cougar.
Thanks to all for such great input, i guess after a while the question does get old, I think the only limitation would be the imagination.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I was not aware of that thread, and could only get to page 25 before I had to skip to the end. A lot of you guys (who I know to be nice) were mean to poor Brett.

That thread sure got a lot of page views.

Wondering:
- Was that the "most viewed" thread of all time on mc.net?
- did anyone here buy what was left of his car? Seemed like a good deal at the end there...was there actually anything left of it?

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
There's not a lot you can do to change the lines but you can tidy them up using the usual hot-rod / Chip Foose tricks - section and tuck the bumper in closer

You can change the appearance by blacking out the headlight bezels - but it doesn't suit all colours.

Try a few hood strip options like an XY GT. If it is white or blue you could Cobra stripe it - there is one already done up here in Brisbane

Have a look at some of the combinations in the gallery

Like your handle.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's not a lot you can do to change the lines but you can tidy them up using the usual hot-rod / Chip Foose tricks - section and tuck the bumper in closer

You can change the appearance by blacking out the headlight bezels - but it doesn't suit all colours.

Try a few hood strip options like an XY GT. If it is white or blue you could Cobra stripe it - there is one already done up here in Brisbane

Have a look at some of the combinations in the gallery

Like your handle.
Thanks Leon
My handle is my other car, and yes I have decided to paint the bumpers the same as the car and mirrors as well, maybe leave just a bit of the bling.
It was easier when i built the XY as everything was close by, but with the cougar its more difficult. However i am commeted as i have stripped the car and it has just come back from sand blasting. I have the major headache of settling on a colour, I really wanted Matt black but was told its pouress, so looks like its down to a dark wine red or a wild voilet,i guess it can be an american John Goss Special (White with blue stripes)

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...My handle is my other car...
As an American, I have no idea what a 4DGTHO is, but am curious. Got a link?

BTW, Didn't mean to give you a hard time but we've seen some who thought they would change the basic style of the Cougar around to suit their (supposed) taste, but they really just succeeded in deconstructing the car until there was nothing left, but that is a whole 'nother story.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As an American, I have no idea what a 4DGTHO is, but am curious. Got a link?

BTW, Didn't mean to give you a hard time but we've seen some who thought they would change the basic style of the Cougar around to suit their (supposed) taste, but they really just succeeded in deconstructing the car until there was nothing left, but that is a whole 'nother story.

Regards,

Bob
P8160480.jpg P8160479.JPG
All is good Bob i will attempt to upload a pic of my 4DGTHO

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
As an American, I have no idea what a 4DGTHO is, but am curious...
What? You've never seen Mad Max? Quick, somebody revoke this guy's membership in the motorhead club.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I personally Love the look of the 71 cougar, but if you don't like the bumper, you can change the front grill and bumper over to a 73 cougar. It will have a straight bumper across the front instead of dipping in the center.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts