Mercury Cougar Owners banner

to paint or not to paint replacement radiator black

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Gillette 
#1 ·
1968 base 4.7L, MT, w/o AC, mostly stock.
Have to replace radiator. Not stock, just an all aluminum replacement.
Purchased an aerosol Eastwood radiator black spray can. Mechanic advises not painting core fins.
Both radiator mfg, lee_racing01 and Eastwood says light spray will NOT affect cooling performance.
Most radiators I've seen were painted all black, though they were likely copper, brass and ferrous, not aluminum.

Q: Will painting a light cover coat of radiator paint on the core reduce the cooling efficiency?

Thanks

#4 ·
just did an aluminum replacement radiator in 68- 289, used Eastwood radiator black spray carefully. With new rade temps down 3/4 to 1/2 on gauge.
Paint only made it appear a bit less optically new. Of course if everything is chromed under the hood, leave the thing alum if thats what you got

#5 ·
Just to followup. Did in fact paint the radiator judiciously with Eastwood's black radiator paint. It was an aluminum replacement and no issues with the paint. Because the radiator wasn't
a direct fit my fan shroud (aftermarket from 2006, either AutoKrafters or perhaps WCCC if they were in business then) Anyway the shroud had to be elongated, stretched above with wire, and stretched a tad underneath to keep from hitting fan blade. side clip mount holder broke loose, shroud hit fan, well actually sh*t hit the fan and had to be removed. Ordered a repl. from WCCC but engine runs same as with it; the aluminum is a better choice than copper/brass, though not original looking, thus the desire for the paint. I'd say the paint worked well and did nothing to degrade
cooling aspect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.