Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THE FACTS:
a '67 Dan Gurney Sp. Standard coupe with 92K original miles.
289 V8 4bbl, ps, auto, am radio, chrome ralleye wheels and factory Calif emissions. And for those it matters to.... the car is Sage Gold/Ivy Gold.
Very sparse equipment wise but very original. It did run fairly well, but puffed a little at an idle (valve guides?) and if run longer than an hour on the interstate it would tend to run hotter than normal. All in all it performed well, was quiet and was reliable. I was going to put the car in the Car Corral and try to sell it at the ALL FORD SHOW this past Saturday.

WHAT HAPPENED:
Driving it to the show Saturday morning at 60 MPH it stopped like it just ran out of gas. Pulling the distributor cap and cranking the motor, the distributor did not turn. Had the car towed home after pulling the distributer cap, cranking the motor and not seeing the rotor move. I took my other cougar and headed to the show and sought the advice of the FORD fans at the show. I initially thought I had broken the timing chain, but most guys there thought that it sounded like the oil pump seized and sheared pin in the distributer.
At this point I have not pulled the distributer or cranked the motor to see it the rocker arms move..... I guess that will tell me which happened.

QUESTION:
With 93K on the motor, should I just replace the timing chain and oil pump and call it a day? Or is it worthwhile to overhaul the whole motor and try to recoup the cost ($1,500) by asking that much more for the car? OR replace the Timing chain/gear set and oil pump and just raise the price $500?

Is a rebuilt motor with a 12 month/12K mile warranty a selling point or should I let the next owner be the one to do the valve job.

I have a feeling that if I overhaul the engine, I'll have more in it than I can get out of it. (pics of the car can be seen as a link off my profile)

What kind of words of wisdom can the forum give me???

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I think your cat looks very good and would think it would be worth rebuilding the motor but you can get it running without the rebuid. On the 69 bench I had the same thing happened going down the 10 freeway one night on my way to work. I pulled the distributor and found a stripped gear. I went to an all night auroparts store and they had a distributor in stock. I dropped the distinutor in and she was still running when I sold it. I did change the oil the next day though. I hope yours turns out to be this easy to fix.
Good Luck
John
wvcat

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
personally if your industrious i think it will make a good selling point if you did a fresh motor you can usually get more just for the time involved for someone who is interested. You will definatly get more than it being a boat anchor. at the price of a rebuild may be something to think about and put an afternoon or two into a swap. here is a link to help you decide
http://www.ford-motors-engines.com/ford-engines.html#289
good prices and great site and it is where everyone else gets their engines from. and by everyone else i am talking the chain outlets that will charge you such as pep boys and such.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
If you can be lucky enough to just have to replace a dist thats all I would do. I agree if you have to rebuild you will be getting into a area that may put it into that hard to recoupe price range.

Not only that when I look at a car thats been rebuilt there is always that question in the back of my mind about who done the rebuild and did they scrimp on it or did they know what they were doing with it? I and many others would rather buy the car cheaper up front knowing that if "I" rebuild it, it will be done right and the way I want it if I want to modify it.

Even if it siezed the oil pump, its not that hard on your car to just drop the pan and put a new one in it, and then you can send it on down the road with a clear mind about it. mm

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE - not that bad

UPDATE
I pulled the valve cover and cranked the motor. The valves moved a little and the distributer turned about a half turn then stopped while the motor still cranked. I pulled the distributer and the shear pin was still in place so I assumed that the oil pump was fine and proceeded to pull the timing cover.
The top nylon gear had a section of teeth worn out and the chain was laying around it. Spent about fifty dollars for gasket set, chain set and oil and antifreeze. Decided to put a new water pump, belts and hoses on it while im at it........
Any hints anyone can pass on?
I have the new chain/gear installed. Gonna do some cleaning and paint/detail work while the front of the motor is off.

:D

·
11,000 Posts
Whoa!!!! Don't srart the engine again!!

Your oil pan is now full of nylon teeth from the failed timing gear. So is the rest of the inside of your engine. I suggest you pull the valve covers . Buy a gallon of #1 kerosene at Home Depot or any hardware store. Use the kerosene to rinse out the engine. You can catch the kerosene in the oil pan, strain particles through a paint filter and rinse several times. Let it drain overnight to get as much of the kerosene out as possible, then fill with clean oil.

It might be a good idea to pull the oil pan and inspect the oil pump screen too.

I have heard hillbilly's recommend running the engine with kerosene in place of the oil. That's a great way to ruin the motor. Kerosene does not lubricate like oil but it is a good cleaning fluid.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I have the front timing cover off, I might pour the kerosene down the front of the pan with the drain plug out. I pulled a valve cover and there isnt any trash on top of the drivers side head. Infact the darn thing is clean as a whistle. No gunk, no sludge, no nuttin. Regular oil changes were done on this baby.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sad update.....
Its noisy and runs rough. Timing chain and gear are on properly.
I think I either bent a valve or pushrod, or blew out a piston.... Oh boy, Its time to come apart.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
bummer, but look at it this way rebuilding your motor is always an ego boost first time it fires up and runs nothing ......well almost nothing........no i take it back at 38 now i have to say nothing feels as good. maybe cause i only do that once every three years or so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts