Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I need some opinions/info from those of you who have gone this route....
I want to strip my 69 down to the metal so that I only have to do the body once (yeah, right).
My question is....what is the best way to do this?
The last time i did this was in '79 and I used automotive paint stripper. Hard on the nose, skin, clothes and environment - not so good on the paint removing.
Now I am hearing about sand, soda or media blasting. Which is better? I have been told that sand blasting pits, warps and weakens the body panels but I cannot find anyone in the NH area that does soda or media blasting.
Should I go ahead with the sand? is there an adapter or some way to use soda in a regular sand blasting machine?
Any input will be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found a portable blaster that will media blast with plastic pellets, so I am going to give it a try.
I will let you know how it works out.......

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
A heat gun and fifty hours should relieve your paint.Sand is bad and alot of dust etc can reach places you don't want it.I would only strip a car if there was cracking or rust showing . Cougar bodies were partially at least zinc coated for rust prevention.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
I forgot to mention that rust generally comes from the unprotected by paint backside of the panels and that blasting on outside in any form will expose the metal by removing the protective coating not necessarily solving the potential rust problem.I would take any layers of paint off with the heat gun down to the original paint but not necessarily to bare metal.Hope this helps Ray/Pacificatz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts