Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine in question = 1970 351C 4V with approx. 106,000 miles.

Situation = While doing a burnout revved for at least 7-10 seconds in 1st gear (4 speed tranny).

Now, there is oil appearing in the coolant, not the other way around.

(I know this is another Oil In Coolant thread but THIS time I may have a reason why it's doing it and POSSIBLY a better resolution to the problem, since there is more info on how it may have started).

Did I float the heads or could the dreaded cracked water jacket STILL be a possibility?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
See if you can find any evidence of water in a cylinder...pull the plugs and turn it over - watch for water works.....cracked water jacket is very likely on a clevo though.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
How about a popped trans cooler in the rad which is leaching ATF into the coolant?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Oops! Nevermind.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Cracked head between the seats. Happens to the C quite a bit, and most canted valve engines.

Good news is that it can be welded for a fair price, instead of tossing the head and starting over.

Read the plugs, jerk the head that's showing water evidence, and you should see it right away.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all who replied, even <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->1969XR7Vert. We still love ya....

Now, if I can't readily SEE this seat issue I'll be posting a video of each head with a detailed look at each one. They'll be on YouTube and I'll be going VERY slow over each inch of each head, if needed.

I have always noticed this one thing though. The valve cover on the drivers side (where the tube goes from the cover to the air cleaner)....that cover has been starting to have the paint peel off and is now getting surface rust on it. I know it's an engine and gets to see all type of temps under the hood BUT, why is the passenger side valve cover look the way it did when I bought the car, back on 08? No rust, no peeling paint.

Thanks, Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts