Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, when I had my wheels put on, (we are good friends with the guy who owns the tire shop) he looked at my tires and told me they are from 1997, and nead to be replaced soon. I guess that would explain all the rubber worms on the paint, when I am just driving normally.

He basically said, a couple more high speed freeway runs, and they'll be gone. So, I have decided to replace them. What would you guys sugest? I would like a wide tire for the rear, maybe a little lower profile. Right now I have 14x70 Goodyear Reggatas (Junk).

Thanks

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
235/60/15's check how good they look on our car. BFG's.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They do. The one thing I am going to make sure to get is the white letters on the tires, thats what makes a car...

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I totally agree, you have to have the white lettering, it makes the tyres look mean, you can't really see it in the picture but the first thing you notice on our car is how wide the tyres look, normally the first comment people make as well.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
265x50x15 or 275x50x15 but your rear looks a little low for clearance. I have lots of clearance on mine but it sits higher in rear.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
How do you get the rear, or front for that matter, to sit higher, only answer if its uncomplicated, otherwise if it involves all those things they were talking about in a previous post, http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3793, then just say so, cos' that lot went way way over my head. Is it a bird..........is it a plane............no its info.. flying over my head.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Are you staying with the 14" wheels you have?? If so the biggest I have found availble is the 245-60 which will clear just fine and along with a 225-60 on the front it would look very nice.

Those are the size my brother has on his 69 Mach 1 and we put them on my Cougar once and all was well.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I dont remember what brand his are. I'm sure BF Goodrich TA's come that size as well as the Cooper's, probably Goodyears and Kellys also. mm

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks good, thats probably what I will get... is that the widest that will fit? I noticed Logan has 295's in the back.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
WHITE WALLS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry.... I just needed to say that/,......

purist , that I am :1poke:

Don

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
BFG's Radial TA's
P245/50/R14 Rim Width 7-8.5
P245/60/R14 7-8.5
P265/50/R14 7.5- 9.5
That seems to be the biggest you get on a 14 rim

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
white walls are cool
http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=680&papass=&sort=1
but white letters rule!
http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=682&papass=&sort=1
Now I'm running the white letter tires (205/70/14) on the stock wheels... makes for a nice sleeper look, though I really got used to the added traction of those 245s...

72cat- The quick-and-easy ( = cheater) way to raise the rear end is to install air shocks. These bolt in place of your rear shocks, and share a compressed air line. You inflate the line just like you inflate the tires. The problem with them is that if you want a stiff ride, you have to inflate the shocks to ~90-100 psi, which jacks the rearend back to 1977. I had to do this with my 245/60/14s on 14x9 wheels (problem was the lack of backspacing). I replaced the tires twice with tons of tread left because of all the fender slices in the sidewall, even with the air shocks!

Does anybody know if Goodyear still makes Eagle ST? On Maui, our Goodyear dealer said they stopped making them back around '97, but I've seen recent mention of them in magazines and in conversation... I really like the ST, it was a very sharp looking semi-performance tire.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Does'nt look like they still make the ST's, closest to that one is the GTll

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
The ones our dealer sold us the last time we had to replace was "Wingfoot HP". They're not bad, but I do prefer the tread pattern of the ST, and lettering is neater on the ST, IMHO. It's a bit simpler, more understated.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts