Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,
The carb thread got so many responses and good ideas/knowledge floating around that I thought I'd start one about tires.
So, what kind of tires do you prefer for street or racing or whatever you do?

Me, I like Comp T/A's by BFG. H rated. But, they wear pretty quickly with me.
So, I run radial t/a's on the street.
DOT slicks: M&H or M/T

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Firestone...

I run a set of Firestone Firehawks on my baby (well, I mean the metal one! ;) )

They look great, and hold up well...even with the rear wheelwells bouncing on them every so often! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The Comp TA is a great tire, a friend of mine has been using them on his '72 Mach I for 8 or 9 years and he autocrosses the car several times a year. I had the KDWS model on a daily driver SVT Contour. Superb tire, but man did they wear out quickly! I would love a set for my Cougar, though. The Radial TA may be the best looking tire on the market for classic cars, but if you have ever driven with them in the rain, you know why they are not a logical tire for a daily driver.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Jim -

You mean breaking the tires loose at 55 in the rain is a safety issue? Do tell!
:D

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I'm on my second set of Radial TA's, and have not had any problems. Of couse, here in Florida, it can be raining on one side of the street, and not the other!

Hopefully, at the end of the summer, I'll be upgrading to 17" wheels, and will consider (based on what y'all write here) a change.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Barry,
If I drove my Cougar as often as you drive yours, I would probably go with a H rated all season tire (such as the BFG Comp/TA). They are sticky, but will last longer than a V or Z rated tire. You may want to visit the tire rack site and browse through the "high performance all season" category. There are lots of good tires out there. Since my Cougar is only driven a couple thousand miles a year, I'll be browsing the "Ultra high performance all season" section. If I didn't take such long trips from home, with the possibility of incliment weather, then I would probably just shop the "Ultra High Perforamnce" section. Avoid S rated tires if doing any kind of spirited driving :)

What 17inch wheels are you looking at?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I have Goodrich TA's on everything, good bite(wet or dry), quiet on the hiway, they ride nice and seem to last, even with the occasional lite off...lol..

Bruce

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tars, tyres, pneus

I haven't noticed the problem with the Radial TAs in the rain.
And I live in the higher elevation of the appalachians (read that twisty roads).
But, that doesn't mean anything I guess. Every setup differs.

I agree with Jim on the H rated tires.
I've had to reweld a lot of my shock tower seams since I started using Comp TAs though. They stick that well. And I never noticed rain problems with them either. No hydroplaning or anything. My 70 has 15x7 wheels. So I run 15/235/60.

Been wanting to try a set of firehawks though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Running Dunlop SP40's S rated, and so far they but to shame every thing else thats been on her. Course that could be becuase now running 16x7's opposed to the 15x6.5's

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Jim-

Wheel-wise, I WAS looking at 17" billet Magnum 500's; 7" on the front, and 8" on the rear...now I'm gonna have to consider Torque Thrust D's...they look awesome on your Cougar!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Yea, they look cool, Barry. The only problem is the backspace problem. A friend of mine is running 15x7 D's on his '70 (also an elim clone) and had the body shop notch the front fenders when it was in for paint work. The outcome looks terrific, though. And you can't even tell they were notched. I'd love to buy the road racing caps (completely flat) to go with them.

Kraven, I don't think you can get the Comp TAs in that size any more :-( The performance tire market is slowly but surely going away from 15 inch wheels, what a shame. Which firehawk are you considering?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
We've got Radial TA's on both our cats and the other day when driving in the rain had to brake suddenly and the whole car skidded out. quite scary. Both my kids have got Firestone Firehawks on theirs cars, and they are quite happy with them.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
firehawkies

I've been looking at the GTA02 models.

And I think I'm going to test with a set of the indy tires before mexico to see if I like them.
I'll be going to 16 inch wheels soon anyway.
Anybody have any feedback on them?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I've always run BFG Radial T/A's on my cat and always will. The epitome of a Muscle Car tire...

Nothin' like sending a set of 295 T/A's up in smoke! :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
BF Goodrich all the way. I have always had them on my car and my truck. BF Goodrich TA's. I will get new ones when I get bigger rims for my Cougar and when I get new wheels for my truck. Probably BF Goodrich 40 inchers for my truck.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I chose Firestone Firehawk SS 20's after pouring over the ratings and comments at www.tirerack.com. At purchase they had a deal where you buy 3 get one free so that was cool.

Performance wise... no complaints. I was especially concerned about wet weather performance when choosing a tire and I'm very pleased with the ability of the SS 20 to maintain traction and stability in the wet stuff.

235x60 R15's all the way around

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I really don't have a preference. I usually base my purchase on what sizes are available for the particular project I'm working on. It seems though that BF Goodrich has the largest selection with a wide range of tread patterns and speed ratings. I've used them more than any other brand and have a fresh set of them just about ready to go on The Hero in a couple of weeks.

Mark

·
Registered
965 Posts
For the past 5 years, I have nothing but BFG/TA's on my cars and they look great and perform fantastic. Coming home from the Daytona show a few weks ago in hard rain, they did great. My son and I both have sets on our 69's and I am getting ready to buy another set for the m code. If it ain't broke.......

Jim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts