Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had to, or rather decided it was time for new tires on the Ranger. They were still legal, just barely. I just don't know about the tread life I can expect from a set theses days. I have only had the truck for 4 years, and now I had to put new tires on it! And only have 80,618 miles when I pulled in to Discount Tires this morning. The sales man wanted to sell me some other brand of tires then what it had on it. I replaced them with the same size and brand as Ford put on from the factory. If you recall about 10 or so years back Good Year Wranglers had a bad name for coming apart. Well I think they have fixed that problem. 80K on a set of tires is FANTASTIC! Even more impressive is it is a 4X4 and I drive it fairly hard.

What kind of tire life are the rest of you getting? I have gotten over 45K on a set before. But have usually never gotten this kind of life out of a set. When I was young if I got a set of Bias ply to last a season or 15K I was lucky.:ylsup::burnout::burnout:

Lets hear some stories here.

·
Registered
367 Posts
On my 03 Mustang, I have a set of Bridgestone G009's that are over 55k - probably next summer will need replacement. I can not speak highly enough of these tires, with the factory tires I would hydroplane with virtually any amount of water on the road, with these they just track like nothing else... Over 60k miles on set of tires that handle this good is a great investment in my mind - I will definitely be looking at the Bridgestone line when I replace them.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I had to, or rather decided it was time for new tires on the Ranger. They were still legal, just barely. I just don't know about the tread life I can expect from a set theses days. I have only had the truck for 4 years, and now I had to put new tires on it! And only have 80,618 miles when I pulled in to Discount Tires this morning. The sales man wanted to sell me some other brand of tires then what it had on it. I replaced them with the same size and brand as Ford put on from the factory. If you recall about 10 or so years back Good Year Wranglers had a bad name for coming apart. Well I think they have fixed that problem. 80K on a set of tires is FANTASTIC! Even more impressive is it is a 4X4 and I drive it fairly hard.

What kind of tire life are the rest of you getting? I have gotten over 45K on a set before. But have usually never gotten this kind of life out of a set. When I was young if I got a set of Bias ply to last a season or 15K I was lucky.:ylsup::burnout::burnout:

Lets hear some stories here.
I don't remember anything about Wranglers causing problems with Ford, Wasn't it the Firestone tires that were blowing out and causing the exploders to roll? Ford replaced the Firestones on my dads F150 at the time with wranglers at this time, and he never had any problems with them.

I have 50000 miles on my 99 Expedition with Michellin XT's, I'm sure I'll get another 15-20000 miles out of them. on the other hand I got approx 55000 miles out of the OE Michellins on my 2006 Grand Marquis. And I really should have replaced them 1-2 years earlier due to the sidewalls weather checking. I now have Goodyear Eagle GTs on the car and am very happy with the handling, and performance of the tires. They not only had the best price of the comparable major brands but they were made in the US by a US company.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I have a ranger-size tire on my '89 Crown Vic - 225/70/15, on Ranger/Explorer 15x7 alloy wheels. Tires are Firestone Indy 500s. They're a white letter tire, but I have them mounted with the white lettering to the inside. My buddy just put a set on his '73 Mustang 'vert as well when the 20-year old Goodyear Eagle STs dryrotted to death...

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't remember anything about Wranglers causing problems with Ford, Wasn't it the Firestone tires...
Mitch,
I just Googled both tire makers. Both had problems on Explorers and light trucks.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I wish I could be as lucky as you guys with tires. I just replaced mine on my F-250 and only got about 35,000 out of them. That is the last time I will spend 1000 bucks on BFG all-terrains. I hope the Kumhos I just got will get better milage, but for almost 400 bucks less, I am already much happier.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
My F250 4x4 came with Pirelli's. Replaced them at 40k, but probably should have at 35k.
Now running Cooper Discoverer ATR, supposed to be very good in snow.
And they were on sale, got 4 tires installed for $679.00.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
My Corolla went about 45k on a set of Kumhos until they started getting loud on the freeway.
Now I have a set of Generals that seem to be wearing well.

I get about 10k or so out of a front motorcycle tire and about 5-8k out of a rear. :0)

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
My 06' Silverado came with General Ameritrac that only lasted 30k. I replaced them with Michelins and they are at 22K of wear and don't show it. I expect they will be on for at least 60K of use.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have a Lincoln LS that came with Continentals that lasted almost exactly 40K. I replaced them with Michelins, which seem to be wearing MUCH better. I have another set of Michelins which I've had on one of my Cougars for 15 years, with about 40K on them, with over half the tread left. They look great, no checking or adverse wear at all, but they are old enough now that I'll most likely replace them next year. Unfortunately, Michelin doesn't make white wall tires in the P205/70R14 size any more, so I'll probably go with WSW Firestones, which I just put on my other '68 Cougar. They are also a good tire.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I get about 10k or so out of a front motorcycle tire and about 5-8k out of a rear. :0)
5-8K? Really? You don't ride very hard do you? I have never gotten more than about 4K out of a rear, but I am hell on curves on a bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts