Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After taking a year to decide on my new wheels and buying them it seems tires are a roadblock. Bought 15" wheels so I could away from the 14" wheels for more choices. Won't go larger because they look very wrong on a 1968 car. Size tire I am looking for is 225/60-15 which I know will fit the front of the car. The Firehawk Indy 500 has only a 235/60-15 which could be trouble. All the Radial T/As are special order around here which adds $35-40 extra per tire so that is out. Makes it seem that I have to settle for a simple blackwall tire like maybe the Sumitomo HTR A1S PO1. Has great reviews in dry traction and quiet ride but is only 215/60-15 which almost matches the stock diameter for the speedometer. I took tomorrow off to bring the wheels in but it looks like it will be pointless as it could take time to find something. This right after getting the wrong mufflers shipped to me which puts that task off also...

·
Registered
4,059 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I was of the mind to put 15's on my car, that is what I always used to run, but they are becoming hard to get (as you've apparently discovered). After careful consideration, advice from others and a lot of research, I went with 17's and am very happy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I still run 14s on my 70 and I went with some pep boys futura gimmicks that were around $60 each. I think they are 205-60-r14s. They are great for burnouts haha. rain makes it like ice skating.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've had good experiences with Tire Rack online, and with printing out their quote & shopping it around locally. Normally Discount tire will match, or come real close to Tire Rack's prices. the shipping always becomes a confusing part of the final deal. My car came with OLD 14" tires that wouldn't even hold air. I bought 4 Goodyear 205/75/14s. When I went to get them installed I found that I had three different wheels, two different widths and hub sizes :( My problem now is what to do with the tires once the budget allows me to get new 15" or larger wheels.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
When I upgraded to 15" wheels, I picked up a set of BFG g-Force sports at Costco. I really like them. You may have to order them, but it only takes a few days.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
...My problem now is what to do with the tires once the budget allows me to get new 15" or larger wheels.
I think you should enter a burnout contest...:burnout:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
the shipping from tirerack is cheaper than the calif sales tax---especially if you have a business you can ship to---i'm kinda thinking a 225-60/15 is kinda big in the front--i think we have 195/60 or 205/60 in the front and everythig just clears--but thecar is lowered---235/60 in the rear
doctordesoto

·
Registered
733 Posts
Ditto on the TIRE RACK....bought many tires from them when I lived here in Kommiefornia and back home in Arkansas for many different cars.....

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i did check our front tire size---205-60/15 bfg's----225 would be two sizes larger---they would prob not fit our car with 15-6 styled steel rims
doctordesoto

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i did check our front tire size---205-60/15 bfg's----225 would be two sizes larger---they would prob not fit our car with 15-6 styled steel rims
doctordesoto
I will no doubt use Tire Rack for the tires. My old original E70x14 (205/70-14 now) closest equivalent is a 215/60-15 tires which fits a 6.0-7.5 inch rim. That gives me just a -0.56% error in my speedometer and mileage. That puts both the Radial T/A and the Sumitomo HTR into the mix. Surveys have the Sumitomo scoring much higher than the Radial T/A especially in quiet ride and road noise. I just changed out the Kumho on my Focus for Yokohama and WOW. The noise factor, which you get used to, dropped dramatically with the new tires. No more constant drumming even on smooth roads. So I pay attention to the score for noise on Tire Racks site.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
the 225-60/15 are similar in od to your 14" tires but they are somewhat wider @ the tread---thats where some rubbing may happen
doctordesoto

1 - 20 of 21 Posts