Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the largest size tire that will fit on the 1970 eliminator 14 inch styled steel wheels? Are they 6 inches wide? Factory was F70-14, is that equiv. to P205's? thanks.:1zhelp:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
if im not mistaken, its like a 215 or 225. its somewhere around that, i just dont remember offhand. im pretty sure its a little bit wider than a 205 though.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I ran G60-14 bias ply tires on my 14x6 Magnums 20 years ago.
What is that in metrics? Anyone know?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Here's a decent link that tells how to read "P-metric" and "Euro-metric" (who knew they were different? :1poke: ) tire sizes and you can use their formulas (formulae?) to figure out what a metric tire size is in good old Mercury inches: http://www.tiresafety.com/size_class/size_nav.htm

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Rktmn,

You really should have been running a 7" wide wheel for those G-60-14s. I have a set on 14x7" painted magnums on BetaCat as we speak (on the rear). Go with a narrower rim and you'll be bowing the tread and making the middle wear out or have to run less-than-optimum tire pressure to get them to wear right.

G-60-14 would be a 245/60/14.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I ran L60-14 once on a 6" rim. The edges of the tread didn't touch the ground 1/2" on both sides of the tire effectivly giving me a tire that was 1" narrower on the ground. Go with at least a 7" rim.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Yeah, Cougrcj, I know that now. But when you're young and stupid you do stupid things. Even back then (77) "wider was better" - for rear tires anyway. We weren't sure what would fit so we measured tires on the rack until we found the widest that had 6" between the beads! Ignorance is bliss. Amazingly I never had any problems with wear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts