Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
69 XR7 Convert. Belt broke loose on one of my tires. Tires are BF Goodrich Radial T/A's. 235/60/R14's on what appears to be 14x7 rims. The tires have a manufacture date of 01, still have 8-9/32's of tread, show no signs of dryrot, however I did loose a belt on 1! I thinking about ordering a new set of tires, maybe going with 225/60/R14's instead of the 235's. The problem is that I can't find any 235's or 225's in stock anywhere... Coker tire recomends 215/70/R14's for this Cougar (they are in stock). I know the tire overall diameter is taller on the 215 and the section width is narrower. Question is will they fit on a 14x7 rims and what will they do to my curb height?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
get on tie rack web sight and go to bfg (brand ) and then go to t/a----when you hit specs , all the width and dias will come up---probably better pricing too!most new tires suggest changing @ 5 to 6 yrs
doctordesoto

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I have been there, Out of stock on 235/60/R14 and 225/60/R14. That's why I went to Coker and the are out of stock on there also. So that's why I was wondering about the 215/70/R14's which Coker calls for as the direct replacement.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I had 225/70R14s on my 14x7 wheels. They cleared everything OK and looked great.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
You can use up to a 245/60 on a 7" rim IF the rim has the proper offset to clear the front suspension pieces.

The problem is you're still using 14" wheels. Not a lot of selection in those sizes these days as you've found out. 15" wheels that fit our cats are readily available and a much better selection in tire size. I like this interactive tire size comparison tool -- http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html Give it a try!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Go to Google and enter 235/60 R14 and then click on "shopping". I did this and it came back with about 600 choices. Good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to keep BF Goodrich Radial T/A's on the car, I really like the way they look. Only 1 235/60/14 T/A on ebay. Since my tires are 10 years old and 14's are getting hard to find, I'm going to replace all 4. I also discovered that the 235/60's are rubbing a bit. So next I looked for 225/60's (little lower, less width). Same story, none in stock anywhere that I could find. The OE tires are E70's (overall diameter of 25.7, cross section of 8) 215/70's (overall diameter of 25.9, cross section of 8.7) are recomended as the radial replacement for these. They are taller than the 235/60's and just a bit taller than the OE's however I have decided to go with the 215/70's. Tire Rack, and Coker have them in stock, however I managed to find a set in stock at a Sears store 30 miles away from home and they were actually cheaper even after sales tax than having them shipped, plus I was able to get them right away. By the way there are 14 inch Cooper Cobra's still being made, that was my fall back option. So now I have 3 235/60/14 T/A's that have 8-9/32 tread remaining, no dry rot or cracking that I can find, but they were manufactured in 01. I think they would be good for a trailered show car if anyone is interested. Thanks to everyone for their help. Take care!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts