Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here is the deal. My 1969 has an early model 302 (3 bolt balancer). It runs great and starts fine. So I am adding A/C to the car and the dist. vacuum advance is in the way. Number 1 plug wire is in the right location on the cap but when I checked the timing this thing is about 40 deg ATD center? It has been to long since I messed with early model dist I can't for the life of me figure what is wrong. This motor was rebuilt and when I purchased the car the PO informed me the dist was installed that way. I know the only way to correctly verify the timing chain was installed properly is to take it apart but that is not going to happen. Does anyone see an issue with just removing the vacuum advance until I sort this out.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok since I have CRS I went back and disconnected the vacuum advance and then DSCF0983.jpg checked timing (still off). Then I notice another timing tab on the driver side at about 5 oclock. Checked timing there and it was about 20 deg BTDC?

DSCF0985.jpg

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ray, why don't you remove dist., rotate the vac. adv. to the front and reinstall, that way you get it out of the way and back to where it should be.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Or .... he could move all of his plug wires one hole counter clockwise, and move the distributor 45°. But then he would have to time it on the next spark plug wire next to #1.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I think an early model 5.0 would have the timing pointer located differently than the older ones - but I agree with towcat - mark everything where it's at now for reference, then line up the pointer/balancer on the correct stroke - yank the dizzy, and get it where it should be.....that should leave you plenty of room to adjust either way then. (assuming the balancer ring hasn't walked on you though!..?)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
many of the aftermarket intakes( 302/351) do not allow the vac adv to rotate very far---mallory and msd make a tall dist to solve this problem if thats whats causing it

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Good point Doc - mine was that way and I forgot all about it....

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys, thanks for the feed back. Since fords fire counter clockwise here is what my foward plan is. Get base line timing before I move anything and also check the vacuum. Then get the rotor lined up with # 1 on the cap. Pull the dist. and rotate it clockwise 1 tooth and then rotate the vacuum advance until the rotor lines up with #1 on the cap. Recheck timing and vacuum.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Pull #1 spark plug, crank engine until you feel compression, watch for TDC and make sure rotor pointing to #1 plug wire, Then do what you had planned.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Towcat that is my plan. Once I get the car restarted and set the base timing I will then use the vacuum gauge to get it on the money.

·
Registered
708 Posts
See my previous post on fabbing a timing tool from an old distributor cap.

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/...3&postcount=20

If you've got an electronic ignition, substitute rotating the distributor until the reluctor paddle lines up with the pickup sensor for "rotating the distributor until the points open". This should tell you if you're off a tooth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts