Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace an electronic distributor (replaced before I bought). The box has melted twice and I am looking at two options.
#1 Replace with an aftermarket distributor (suggestions appreciated)
#2 Replace with point style original with pertronix drop in.
The other issue that I have is I went to put a timing light on the car and there is no indicator present??? Looking at the car it seems that the pointer would be located on the passenger side of the vehicle but there is no logical place for it. So where is the pointer supposed to be located or is it molded into the block and I am not seeing it???:confused::confused::confused:
The vehicle is a 69 convertible, a/c, 351W.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Timing Pointer Is Bolted On Drivers Side Of Timing Cover Above H.B, It's Probably Missing. Just Bought(but haven't installed it yet) Pertronix II Ignitor And Matching Pertronix Coil, inexpensive Electronic Conv.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Is your A/C still all hooked up? If so, you need to find the right angle on the dangle, to get the pointer to show itself. Take some chalk, and 'hilight' all the numbers on the Harmonic Balancer, and that will help you see the pointer. (easiest from under the car. You may have to turn the engine over by hand, to get to the numbers) As I recall, the pointer is cast into the timing gear cover..

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
On a 351W, the timing pointer is a stamped metal piece that bolts to the timing cover.

·
Registered
39 Posts
a standard distributor with Pertronix update is good, if you have a factory tach, feed your coil with the factory wire and power the Pertronix red lead from a separate 12v source with key on. You should buy a extra pertronix pick up (module) or save old points and keep them in glove box incase of a failure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts