Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After forty years, I am wondering if I understand my “pointer”.

because - it’s not really a pointer like others. It’s just a weird hunk of metal attached to the timing chain cover, with no marks on it. The marks are on the harmonic balancer. And of course it’s in a near impossible spot to get the timing light on.

so - I have always timed the 351W at 10 degrees early. I put the mark just under the straight edge at the top of the “pointer”. Does this sound reasonable?

does the timing change with electronic ignition? Thx

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
To answer your question about if timing changes with electronic ignition ... I will say yes .. depending on the ignition... it changes your dwell and that dwell reaction time will affect your timing.

if this is your "pointer" TDC is at the very top edge

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s my “pointer”. Passenger side. Almost hidden, to the point where all you can really see without being a contortionist is the 90 degree leading edge.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes. but Unlike post 3, the drawing.

there is no true “pointer“ on mine

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
If you have a 70 and up 351W the "pointer" in the picture you posted is correct. One trick to help you see the marks is to mark the "0" slot on the dampner with a white line from a paint pen or Liquid Paper. Then you should be able to see the the white line easier with your timing light. The far right edge of the pointer in your picture is the edge you need to time from.
The picture that 69eliminator posted is correct for 69 cars because the water pump inlet was on the passenger side for that year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts