Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to check the timing last night and couldent see a timing mark on the pully? After the engine was stoped I felt around for one but dident see it. Also do I pull and plug the vacume advance hose when checking the timing? And last but not least I have a clear fuel filter just prior to the carb, should the fuel drain back out of the filter after the engine has been shut down or should it still be primed. Ill go in to my starting problems later:cry: Thanks for any help

·
Registered
269 Posts
layers and layers...

I couldnt find any hash marks on mine either. So took my pocket knife and scraped away a layer of paint, then another layer of paint, and another.... I think there were 6 coats of paint on that puppy blue, to black back to blue to silver.

I ended up taking of the distributor top and kicked the engine till the rotor was at number one which should be TDC. Then put stripper on the top of the pulley and cleaned it up.

They were under there after all the cleaning though!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dam thats what I had to do for my truck, whats up with all the manules saying to look for a notch and none being there:rolleyes: . At least on my truck I lined every thing up during the rebuild and got the new mark right on.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm used to the timing marks being on the harmonic balancer, not the pulley. Keep scraping the paint until you get to metal, those marks are there somewhere.
You should unplug the vacuum advance when checking the timing. Cap the line with a golf tee while checking so the engine isn't thrown off by the vacuum leak.

·
Registered
576 Posts
my 69 390 also has the fuel drain from the filter after I shut it off.with the stock carb on it made it hard to restart if it would sit for a while,changed the carb to a Holley and a least it keeps enough gas in it to re fire until the pump can send gas to the carb again.

Terry

·
Registered
269 Posts
Pulley, balancer, round thingie on the end of the crank...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts