Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am on a quest to get my 67 running.

I don't need it to run flawlessly right now, I just need it to move under it's own power.

I did intake gasket, valve cover gaskets, water pump, water neck, remounted the carb, new starter, new solenoid, new hoses, new belts, new plugs and wires, new cap and rotor, new coil, new battery, new battery cables, new grounding strap, maybe some other things I am forgetting.

Anyway, I did a dumb thing. I pulled the distributor, thought I took a picture of the correct rotor position and I did not. Once I determined I didn't know for sure, I just tried where I thought it was. I was wrong.

So... I feel like I am not even close to being right, it tried to fire once and backfired through the carb.

Having said that, here is the real issue. I have a 302 with a 289 timing cover and a water pump that the bottom hose is on the passenger side. I think this is where the trouble comes in.

I can't see the timing pointer thing, at all. I mean it is completely blocked.

If I get the #1 cylinder to top dead center, point the rotor at #1 position, restab the distributor, should I be able to get it to fire up? Assuming something else isn't wrong?

Once I get it to fire, how will I ever be more precise with the timing, since I can not see the indicator?

I may be rambling here, it was a long, frustrating day in my garage.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You are far from the first person to do that! No worries - you can double check yourself by ensuring that the #1 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke (blows your finger out of the plug hole), be sure that your pointer is on TDC (289-302-351W are same but the W has a different firing order is all) put the dizzy back in and be sure your on the #1 plug wire. You should be darn close to firing within 10 degrees or so moving the dizzy either way, then adjust it to the best idle/vacuum you can get. Dial it in later if needed.....mark your dizzy base/block with a little scratch/divit for reference next time! :>)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Follow up on this post. I just had my car's 351W rebuilt (it's a 1975 engine). It's running, but like crap. Very rough idle, sounds like it has a racing cam in it, which it isn't. Timing never properly set, just got it to start. How the heck do you time it when as mentioned you can't even see the indicator?!? I'm sure I have other issues like carb adjustment and I'm guessing a vacuum issue. But from what I understand timing is the first thing that needs to be right before you start diagnosing and working on other issues. Does the car need to be in the air and timed from below?

·
Registered
438 Posts
You can time the engine with a vacume gage. Hook up the gage to the vacume line coming from the manifold, start engine turn the distributor until you get the highest vacume back it off just a bit. Go for a test drive punch it a little and if you here the engine ping back it off a little more. You should disconnect the vacume advance and plug the line.

Also to check to see if you have vacume leak from the engine, you can put a rag over the carb try and cover it all the way. If it keeps running you have a vacume leak if the engine dies you are good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts