Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting together a 390 S code for my 67 Cougar. Question, the bolt that holds the timing gear to the cam shaft and the fuel pump eccentric to the timing gear, has a washer on it...is this washer supposed to be big enough to hold in the dowel that lines up the cam and the timing gear? the one that I took off is nowhere near wide enough to hold the dowel in. Can't this dowel just "work" it's way out eventually, if not retained by anything?
bmaker

·
Registered
145 Posts
I believe there are supposed to be two washers. One is a built in split lock washer on the bolt and then a pretty thick half dollar sized washer behind it . If you pull the pin out of the cam with some vice grips and then turn it upside down and re-install it in the cam the teeth of the vice grips willscore the sides and that will give it some interferrence fit.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Its been a long time since I have been inside a FE but dosnt the fuel pump eccentric cover the dowl when bolted up??? That dowl is suppose to be tight so I dont think it will come out anyway. mm

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, the fuel pump cam also has a hole in it, that the dowel fit in, and sort of acts like a key for the pump cam. It is an aftermarket cam, I'll have to check and see if the timing gear and chain are aftermarket as well. whatever the case, that dowel has worked it's way out once, just when turning the engine over toward the end of the rebuild...I would hate to see the results when actually running! I have put a wider washer on the cam bolt to make sure it stays in place.
bmaker

·
11,000 Posts
It's a good idea to put Loctite on the pin before pressing it into the cam and to use Loctite on the cam bolt as well.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
That dowl shouldnt have come out that easy, are you sure its the right one??? Maybe the cam hole is missized?? I'd see about another and maybe contact the cam manufacture to be sure. The red locktight would be best for the correct dowl, but I'd use the blue for the bolt. mm

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there is no play in the dowel, when it is installed without the timing gear on, so I assume it's the right size. I will use the loctite on the dowel, but I still plan on using the wider washer, to retain the dowel, shouldn't hurt anything.
Happy New Year and congrats to the Purdue football team on their victory over the Washington Huskies in the Sun Bowl!
bmaker

1 - 7 of 7 Posts