Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wifes chrysler blew the timing chain a couple days ago and I had to tow the thing home. I spent all day today fixing the car. It was a stock chain, so it had nylon teeth on the cam gear, or should of... 6 teeth were missing. This is just a little warning to all you guys that have early stock motors, especially the 351C guys, cuz they used nylon teeth on the cam gear on them, not sure on the others. If your cars down, and your not driving it, change the gears and chain on them before the season of cruizing starts. Just preventive maintenance is a good cure for crappy gears. Be safe.....

Rick

·
Registered
408 Posts
Believe this folks, I have seen engine collision damage first hand and it isn't pretty when the valves and pistons get intimate. Spend now and save later like the man says!

Rob

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Plus, if you catch it before it breaks, you won't have to go fishin' in the oil pan to clean out all the debris.

Speaking from experience... ...again!!

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you catch it in time, you wont have to worry about valvetrain crash like this did. :( Time for a rebuild I figure.

Rick

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Rick, When you were having power trouble the other week with this car (Timing problems) that may have been the chain starting to go then. Ive seen them jump time and still run for a little while...Scott

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep, that was it. I kinda figured when I had to retime it then (and it was way out but still kinda ran). Now I fixed the chain, Im getting really bad ticking and un-even running, so I probably did some bad damage to the valvetrain.
Hopefully someone will at least change there stock gear set (even with a new stock set cuz they arent nylon teeth on replacements now) and not have this happen to them. It really sucks to no end, espeically if I have to replace the motor :(

Rick

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think that I would replace mine with the Pete Jackson? gear drive set. Gives it the supercharger whine from what I hear!
What does anyone know about them. Scott

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I had a noisey Pete Jackson in the Tubbed Ranger I had. It was cool but I've read (and I beieve it) that if its a daily driver (not a all out race car) that gets lots of miles put on it, that a gear drive (noisey or quiet) is hard on the front main bearing and the front cam bearing. (Makes sense if you think about how it works and the upwards and downwards forces)..
Scott

·
Registered
614 Posts
Has anyone ever had a 'quiet' gear drive? Exactly how quiet are they in comparison to the 'noisy' drive? I know they still whine...but how much?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I have a friend with a Edelbrock quiet one and it makes no noise...
Here's my .02 though. If you look at the big picture, unless you want the gear drive noise (it is sorta cool). Why buy a quiet one? A good double row t-chain is PLENTY good, reliable, accurate, and 1/2 to 1/4 the price.
The only need I could see for a Quiet gear drive is if you had so much $$ you bought EVERYTHING else you could think of and had extra $$ left! :D Or if you were Robert Yates or Billy Glidden and a broken part could cost you millions and expense was no object. Otherwise I think there are MANY other BETTER things to blow your money on that you will notice a difference. You will NEVER notice a difference in power by installing a gear drive over a properly dialed t. chain set. Anyone who tells you otherwise it either lying or doesnt know what they are talking about!
I hope I didnt sound like a jerk just now but they really arent necessary... :D :D :D
Scott

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would rather have the supercharger whine actually coming from a supercharger anyway!! Thanks for the input. Now when I replace mine I will not get a gear drive set. Doesn't the exhaust drown out the whine anyway? Scott

·
Registered
614 Posts
Nope, doesn't drown it out. I know that much.

itow, thanks for the info on the quiet drive. I was just curous, is all.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
The exhaust doesn't drown out the whine since you always hear the motor coming first. You'll then hear the exhaust after it passes by.

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts