Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, i was going to change the chain and sprockets on a 1968 289-
do the "modern" double roller chain and sprocket setups fit inside the stock timing chain covers,
the guy at the speed shop where i bought it (brand is mellings) said i may have to shave the inside of the cover slightly to make it fit.
anyone who has done it, please let me know if thats for real
or should i return and just get a single one like the original was
thanks!

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Double roller chains fit just fine - just make sure you get the correct one for your application. Some fuel pump eccentrics are just one-piece and others are two-piece. That's the big difference. That difference also means that the camshaft retaining plate is different, and the spacing is different (very early V-8s had a separate spacer).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...
My fuel pump cam is a one piece one for what its worth,
the guy at mellings actually said- "it may rub but dont worry about it, its only aluminum, it's steel you have to worry about"- im not kidding. The only reason im changing on this car is i've heard about the original nylon gear leaving bits of nylon around, so i figured i'd change while i was in there cleaning everything up.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I have done alot of double rollers and never had one rub. That said I guess there is always a 1st time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts