Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the 70 in to get the timing and carbs set, the guy said he would do it for nothing when he did the merc. so thought what the hell. Anyway he said the timing was way out, too advanced, then he did whatever with the carbs, so off I go, well I tried to, she kept on cutting out, so he set the idling up, I was still not happy but anyway. Went down the road, she's got no bottom end oomph like she had, she keeps sounding like she wants to cut out, and when I accelerate she backfires in the carbs, not always, but a few times, sounds horrible, so I went back and told him to put her back the way she was when I drove in, he said he could'nt advance the timing cos' it would mess up the crank.
Left it at that, determined to sort it out myself now. So my problem.....
1. What is the correct timing mark - 351C 2V
2. Does having a racing cam make any difference to setting the timing?
3. Does having an alternator thats not charging properly affect it at all? {Battery not fully charged]
4. How come just changing the timing and carb setting make such a difference in her performance, it was like driving the old merc. after he worked on it.
5. If I set the carb. richer what harm am I going to do?
6. Is it better to go to a V8 guy who understands power, than to someone who just sets carbs?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Having a race cam could mean the the cam is degreed different than the original one, so the timing could have an ignition advance from 10° to 14° or so for it to run right. and make sure the vac adv line is reconnected to the dist. maybe he forgot.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked the vacumn advance as soon as we got home, how do I find out what the right timing mark is, its an Iskie cam. I don't quite know what he was doing with the timing light, cos' he was going according to the computer, and when I checked the timing marks on the pulley they were all marked white, about 4 white lines, when we put our timing light on it now, all we saw was a big white blob.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
stock Cleveland timing is 6*B. With a race cam, it could be like Bowl said, anywhere from 10-14*B you can do it yourself, if you feel like playing. Turn the dist. counterclock wise until the car sounds like it going to stall, then turn it back about 1/4" ,adjust the 2 air/fuel screws until you get the highest rpm out of them (doing one at a time, then next, might need to go back and forth abit) turn idle screw down when rpm's get up there. Take it for a drive, if it pings, turn it clockwise (retarding) abit, and drive it again until it doesnt ping under full load. You will now know the baseline of the distributor timing. Sounds hard, but pretty easy once you figure out which way the distributor is turned to advance the timing. Good luck.

Rick

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rick, we do feel like playing, always preferred to trust my ear than a computer, I don't understand why this guy did'nt listen when I told him it had a racing cam, it was of no importance to him at all.
Is it true what he said about the advanced timing harming the crank?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Justin's carb has the following number on it 89834 and under it 3110, he wants to know what his cfm is, any idea's. {Justin = my son}

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
If the cam[/I[ timing is off, a valve could strike a piston and damage (or destroy) the valve and/or the piston and/or the connecting rod. If your timing is too advanced, you could put too much strain on the crank (because the ignited gases are applying force while the piston is still moving up); in this case the connecting rod would give way first, I would think. The "too much advance" situation wouldn't cause instant damage though, the damage would come after the car experiences a high load situation (drag race, hard acceleration, steep uphill, etc).
Does anyone else know why ignition timing could affect the crank?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts