Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all it is time for a upgrade of my rear suspension and i have a few questions. need to change out my rear springs and shocks ....what shocks and springs are the best to get. if i am changing out my rear springs and shocks do i need to replace my front ones too? also should i also be replacing my leaf springs when doing all of these or can i keep the ones on there. i have never replaced any of these parts and there are old and worn. iwould like to replace with some that give me nice handling and allow good weight shift to rear of car and possibly lift of front on hard launch... i was told by somebody on this site once that the reason his car picks up on the front on the track has allot to do with his supension work ..thanks in advance to all who help in answering my questions

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
KYB makes a nice shock that is a bit firmer than stock. You don't have to do all four at once but it makes sense to do so to get the best results.

Your leaf springs are likely worn out if they haven't been replaced. Put a couple people in the back seat and see how far down the rear end goes. If they need to be replaced, ESPO does a good job getting you the correct rear leaf springs on the first try.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Somewhat tough questions to answer with the information provided Vinny. Regarding the springs, how is the ride height front and rear? What kind of use do you plan for the car? Shocks can go a long way toward helping the weight transfer characteristics of the car upon launch (but again, what is the intended use of the car?). Some people change the springs to lower the car (generally for road course type of handling, not drag racing). If your ride heights are good, you don't necessarily need to change springs. What type of shocks you choose will (again) depend on what you plan to do with the car. For the example you cite, I would say drag type of use and for that people generally use a 90/10 shock in the front (extends easily, compresses slowly) to help with weight transfer to the back.

That's about all I have, I am no expert on this stuff by any means, hopefully others who are more so can chime in.

Regards,

Bob

Edit: I see Jeff had responded by the time I finished my post (had walked away for a bit). I like KYB's too and use GR-2's on my car. Again, it depends on what you want to do with your car...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts