Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got this car running last year as it sat for at least 12 that I know of ,It runs good for a weeks then it starts,the missing a few misfires coughing sputering.I fiddel with the distributor and back on the road.Then I repeat the process again in a few weeks.When I got the cougar I put a regular new OEM timing chain,a new OEM carberator,and a new OEM distributor.The 390 has been camed how much?who knows.Can the (regular timing chain and or the distributor) have anything to do with this or points and plug gap.When I got it all the HP parts were in a box and the distributors gear shear pin was gone.I got it running to cruse locoly.Is THE magor tear down not to far off? Dan

·
Registered
698 Posts
Timing change

Sounds like the gear is turning[pin is sheared] or the gear is being chewed up do to misalignment with the cam. Pull the distributer out and check.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could be

I went and cleaned all the plugs and made sure no wires jumped off and it started up.I loosened the distributor turned it a bit each way hardly any change.So it looks like the next thing to check.Thanks Dan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts