Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 10+ years restoring my 68 as a hobby, it is finally ready for the road. I'm now ready to put tires on it and need some help. I am using original styled steel wheels and wondering what the widest tire will fit on the 14" x 6" rims.

The car sits REALLY high too, so I am not looking for low profile or a performance tire either. Just need something that will fill up most of the wheel well and LOOK like a sports car. It is a bone stock 302-2v. I have a set of Wide Ovals, but I just can't talk myself in to using bias plys even though I think it would look pretty cool. I would like to buy an American made tire... maybe Cooper or Goodyear.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Looking on Tirerack.com, the OEM equivalent tire size today would be 205/75/14. Optional tire size you could go 215/70/14 or even as big as 225/70/14. Check out this site to compare tire sizes. I have 225/70/14s on my '73 "BetaCat"s 14x6 Magnum 500s...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Are these the tires in your gallery? They look Nice!

oops, I was looking at AlphaCat.. didn't see a good shot of Beta

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
AlphaCat in those pics is wearing G-60-14 bias ply Dunlop GT Qualifier (245/60/14 in today-speak) on 14x7 Appliance aluminum slot wheels, BetaCat sits on 225/70/14 Goodyear Eagle ST radials on 14x6 painted Magnums (with trim rings). Sorry, but no good pic exists of BetaCat! LOL!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
225/70 is the widest 70 series 14 inch tire currently in production, as far as I can tell.

You can get wider in a 60 series 14 inch (245/60 is pretty common) but those are really too wide for a 6" wheel.

I would not recommend dropping down to a 60 series, personally. Even if you got the 245/60s on your wheels, the diameter would still be shorter than stock and not fill up the wheelwell as well.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I got mine from Discount tire. They are the T/A radials 215/70R/14. Got a killer deal when they had a rebate. They ran less than $250 shipped to my house for the set of 4. You can see them on my Avatar shot. Discount offers free shipping but if you go into one of their stores they will price match their on-line quote. Pat price

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am currently considering this linked combo for my standard '68. My car still wears the original drum brakes, but I have a '68 disc assembly that I intend to install at some point. That all said, can anyone think of any complications I might have with this size/combo across all four tires?

I've read a lot on this site, and think that these sizes should fit comfortably without modifications, but I'll defer to the expert panel before making a final decision.

wheel size: 15X7 5-114.3, tire size: P225/60R-15. I don't see any mention of BS. Is there a standard?

Nice price at $755 after rebate. Mounted, balanced and shipped to my door. Thanks for any input, chaps. :smoke:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findWheelDetail.do?bp=5-114.3&pc=69245&counter=1&wd=15&rw=7

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...c=38565&counter=1&ar=60&rd=15&sw=false&cs=225

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
unless yours is a #'s car ,ditch the tinys and go 15-18 inch wheels and tires you'llbe alot happier in the long run!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts