Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a true testament to my lack of foresight. Previously, I had a run of the mill 8" rear.. in my car ya pervs! Anyway, I put this 9" Granada rear in and managed to hook everything up to the point of functionality.

Well, after only a mile or two of test runs, as I am still working on the brake system so it's not being driven much, it start vibrating like mad. I figure it's the driveline as I've felt that vibration before. Well, it is indeed. The u joint caps (dont know proper name) are completely blown apart inside.

So my question then is when I take the driveshaft in to get a new U joint pressed in, is there a specific U joint I should have ready or is it a fairly generic part? I hear the Lincoln Versailles rear has a slightly larger/different yoke but this rear end seems to match all the usual suspects in figuring it for a 9" 3.00 Granada rear w/discs.

Suggestions or things I should look out for?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark - that page made it all much more clear. I'd done some reading after I'd posted that message and discovered that I had probably over torqued the U bolts which led to the problem in the first place.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more time...

Mark - that page you sent really did do the trick. I just got done changing out the U joint - took all of 5 minutes. Probably could have been less if it weren't 100 or so degrees out right now. Either way, my car should be mobile again by tomorrow morning so I'm a happy camper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts