Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '68 cougar and just finished replacing my entire brake system (vacuum booster, master cylinder, all lines, calipers, and pads). Car runs great, drives great, and I’m glad to have it back. Unfortunately, my steering wheel will no longer tilt when i turn the car off and open my door? Is this a vacuum problem? I replaced all tubes for my head lights a year ago, and they work perfect right now. If it is a vacuum problem, where does the vacuum line hook to the steering wheel Thanks for your input.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have a '68 cougar and just finished replacing my entire brake system (vacuum booster, master cylinder, all lines, calipers, and pads). Car runs great, drives great, and I’m glad to have it back. Unfortunately, my steering wheel will no longer tilt when i turn the car off and open my door? Is this a vacuum problem? I replaced all tubes for my head lights a year ago, and they work perfect right now. If it is a vacuum problem, where does the vacuum line hook to the steering wheel Thanks for your input.<!--?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

if it anything like a 69, you'll have a vacuum can with a check valve in it located up under the dash right near the column, also a door jamb plunger switch, either one of those go bad your tiltaway is inoperable

·
Registered
390 Posts
If it's anything like a 69, you'll have a vacuum can with an intregal check valve located up under the dash right near the column and a door jamb plunger switch, either one of those go bad and your tiltaway is inoperable.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm, wounder if i knocked one around while taking out and re-attaching the vacuum boost? i'll take a look for those.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts