Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy on the block , want to say hello to all! I need to ask for some advice on rebuilding a tilt steering column for a 70 mach1. Any advice on best place to aquire the necessary parts can this be done with the column in the car?? Look forward to hearing from you guys out there. Have a great TURKEY DAY!!!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I'm not aware of anybody that sells parts to reuild the tilt wheel. There are a few guys on here that restore for a fee, but don't sell parts outright, that I am aware of.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
We have every nut bolt and clip to restore that column but the smart thing to do is obtain a 72-73 random Ford column so you can have the upgraded internal parts. 1970 was a weak design and most have a ton of play. fastmerc on this list is the worlds foremost leading authority / builder of these columns. Send him a PM and he will not steer you wrong...

<table id="Contents Table" width="600" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td width="600">1970 Mercury Cougar / Ford Mustang Tilt Steering Column - Used
(Click Here for More Information or to Order)

Part #: 70Tilt

This is the first year of the key on the column.
</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table id="Contents Table" width="600" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td width="600">1970 - 1973 Mercury Cougar / Ford Mustang Tilt Column Parts
(Click Here for More Information or to Order)

In time we will list every known nut bolt and clip on these columns. Of course we will not always be able to keep all of these parts in stock but at least our site will be a good starting point to show you what the interchange is, provide pictures and in time Ford part numbers to assist you in your search.

</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is there any special meaning to "72-73 random Ford column"? Is that something particular or are you just saying a random 72-73 column?

I'd like to find one form my 72 XR7. Can I use any ford column or am I limited to some specific to Cougar?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
You need to find one from a 1971 - 1972 Cougar or Mustang. 1973 will work but has different turn signal switch and ignition switch. When I say you need to find a Random column from a late 71 up for the upgraded parts I mean it does not matter that it is a column shift, truck, car or whatever, you are just using it for parts to upgrade the internals of your 70-early 71 which is a weak design... You can pick these columns up for as little as $40 at swap meets, ebay and pick-N-pulls.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
BLDFW,
What Don was suggesting was any random 72-73 column that was NOT in a Cougar or Mustang....to use for parts to repair a column!

If you need a column for your car, drop me an email. I have a couple of 71-72's rebuilt and ready for paint to match your interior! Yes, these are specific columns to only Mustangs and Cougars.

70mach1,
Welcome!!!

The 70 column is one of the more problematic tilts that Ford came out with. The problem areas were dealt with mid year 71. I am one person that offers refurbishing services for Ford tilt columns and as others mentioned, I don't necessarily sell service parts due to the complexity of the unit. You do a bad...and blame it on my parts.....well, that doesn't look so good! So, I just don't do it.

The work that most likely needs to be done to your Mach1 column is something that cannot be done with the column in the car. Just not feasible. For the few bolts that you need to remove to get the column out....it's not worth busting anything while you fight with it in the car! The hardest thing to remove will be the lock out rod that connects to the transmission.....where it connects to the steering column. I sell new ones, but they are not cheap! Ford must have started adding "unobtanium" to the rubber compound!

Hope this helps you out! Drop me an email if you need specifics! I respond more quickly to emails than PM's.
Steve

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
fastmerc on this list is the worlds foremost leading authority / builder of these columns. Send him a PM and he will not steer you wrong...
I second Don's comments, but groan at his pun. Steve did my column after another "reputable" shop rebuilt it in a less than satisfactory manner. Turn to Steve first. Fast service, reasonable price and great communication thru the process.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts