Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any knowledge of what make's a tilt-a-way column work. Went down to check on my car and check a few thing's out, and now my tilt-a-way don't work. They had alot disassembled and now they don't know what happened. I can push the botton in the door jam and I can here the solenoid clicking and only once in a while it will unlatch but not pop all the way out of the way. That little button must do alot cause my dome light and door ajar light don't work when I open the driver's door anymore...
Anything would be appreciated. Thank's Jon

·
Registered
544 Posts
If it has been sitting and not run for a while it may just not have enough vacum stored in the can, or possibly a vacum leak somehere in one of the lines. Check to make sure the vacum did not get disconnected.

Steve

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank's Steve, will do. Anyone else before I go back to the shop and raise holy heck with the owner.... Thank's Again
Jon

·
11,000 Posts
Jon,
Any kind of vacuum leak will cause the tilt - away feature to work poorly. For example leaking headlight motors or the transmission modulator line left off or the power brake booster leaking; any can affect all the rest.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank's Royce, I'll have them going over everything with a fine tooth comb. Jon

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hey Jon, I see tilt-away diagrams from time to time on ebay. That may be something that could help you out. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been looking on ebay the last couple of day's, and it figure's right when you need one nothing.... Thank's, for right now though I'll be looking for vacuum leak's. Dang thing worked fine before I took it in. I appreciate all your guy's help.
Jon

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
My 67 mustang covert had that, it turned out that it got disconected somewhere near the brake pedel on the steering column, there is a vacuum switch there. and the door swithch is another place to look. hope this helps. its been over ten years since i sold that car. I always liked the tilt-a-way.

rich

1 - 10 of 10 Posts