Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welp. Don't know why or how but my speedo cable got wrapped around my rag joint. The cable got stuck inbetween the bolts tieing my steering wheel and the steering box together and ripped it out of the speedo gauge I'm pretty sure (haven't had time to take it out and check) . And now I don't have a working speedometer. All is good with the cable in the tranny so I have to pop off my gauge and hopfully I can just pop or screw it back in or somthing. But that probably wont be the case. New cable most likely.
Anyway,
Don't let this happen to you. Make sure any cables and wires are out of the way of moving parts!!!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good advice, thanks. But...., how did it get in the rag joint, shouldn't it be further back towards the firewall?
It was. haha. I installed my steering box myselft and had it all out of the way. I guess there was some slack pushed into the firewall and came out somehow maybe from me working under the dash running wires for my speekers. I don't know for sure. But, after I fix the speedo I will be using a zip tie or two so it will for sure not get in there again.
I felt it while I was at a stop and went to turn and steering got stuck for a second and then broke free and then no speedo. So I pulled over and sure enough the speedo was chillen around the rag joint.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts