Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Ok, I've worked on engines, electrical, upholstery. No worries there. But, I've never had the need to work on the steering linkage/suspension. Until now. I just took my '68 standard for a safety inspection. According to the technician, the "tie rods are binding" He mentioned something about rust and such and failed the car :-(. So, what the hell does that mean to me? If replacing the tie rods are in order, that's cool. I'm sure I'll figure it out. What do I have to look out for. What else should I replace, since I'm going to have it all torn apart?

I'm just looking for some guidance from someone who is smarter than me about this stuff.

Thanks,

Greg Wilkerson

·
11,000 Posts
If the tie rod ends are shot you probably need to think about replacing the entire front suspension steering component set. Tie rod ends, idler arm, and steering rag joint. If this is a manual steering car the pitman arm too.

·
Registered
223 Posts
A few questions: Does your state allow auto shops to do the inspections (conflict of interest) or do they have dedicated inspection stations (the way it should be). If the steering linkage was binding the car would drive really bad. After a turn the steering wheel would not spin back to near straight a head by its self. It would also be very hard to drive straight down the road. When joints get dry they bind and tend to squeak. Factory tie rods are not grease able. If yours have grease zerks they are aftermarket. Now if the protective boots are missing or damaged its time to replace them for sure. If everything looks good make sure you can rotate the tie rod adjusting sleeves slightly in each direction from center. If you cant the one or more joints are binding or the relationship between the two tie rod ends is wrong. If so its time to see an alignment shop. If you do not have any of these problems you most likely do not have binding tie rods.

Bill

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car drives fine. I don't have any troubles keeping it in between the lines. This shop is a tire shop and not really a repair shop. They'll do alignments and such, but nothing more than that. So, I don't think there's any conflict there. I need to have a look under there, anyway. I would imagine the parts are original. The shop also flagged the flexible parts of the brake lines; said they were cracked. Again, those are probably original, too. I don't mind replacing all this stuff. At least I'll know it's done right (especially if I do it!).

I'm fixin' to learn a lot about automobile steering, that's for sure.

Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts