Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible my 69 Eliminator, 428CJ, 4-speed P/S car came from the factory with the smaller tie rod ends? I purchased Moog tie rod ends for the Eliminator, in the catolog they list Eliminator or non Eliminator, that is the only options.
The tie rod ball socket ends do not fit my drag ling or spindles, the ends are too big and don't fit in the drag link & spindles.
I see Ford went to the bigger tie rods on all 70 models.
Now I have four tie rods that I purchased 4 years ago without the Moog boxes and the parts store will not exchange.
I know I need to purchase the smaller tie rods, does this kind of thing happen when cars go down the assembly line that parts get mixed ?
Thanks for any imput.

Tom

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Is it possible my 69 Eliminator, 428CJ, 4-speed P/S car came from the factory with the smaller tie rod ends? I purchased Moog tie rod ends for the Eliminator, in the catolog they list Eliminator or non Eliminator, that is the only options.
The tie rod ball socket ends do not fit my drag ling or spindles, the ends are too big and don't fit in the drag link & spindles.
I see Ford went to the bigger tie rods on all 70 models.
Now I have four tie rods that I purchased 4 years ago without the Moog boxes and the parts store will not exchange.
I know I need to purchase the smaller tie rods, does this kind of thing happen when cars go down the assembly line that parts get mixed ?
Thanks for any imput.

Tom
Tom,

The only 1969's that were supposed to get the larger tie rod ends were the Eliminators equipped with the Boss 302 Engine. An Eliminator equipped with any of the "other" engines received the same tie rods as any other 1969 Cougar.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I did the exact same thing; ordered the "Eliminator" tie rod ends and they didn't fit. And just like you, I'd got them about a year before I needed them, and they were too big. So I ate the cost of another set and tossed the others. Lesson to me ... buy local and keep the boxes and invoices. Did that with my brake master cylinder and was able to exchange that a year later.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did the exact same thing; ordered the "Eliminator" tie rod ends and they didn't fit. And just like you, I'd got them about a year before I needed them, and they were too big. So I ate the cost of another set and tossed the others. Lesson to me ... buy local and keep the boxes and invoices. Did that with my brake master cylinder and was able to exchange that a year later.
Thanks for the reply.
Tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave, I do remember hearing that before, really appreciate your reply.
your list of cars is awesome.

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
913 Posts
Tom,

The only 1969's that were supposed to get the larger tie rod ends were the Eliminators equipped with the Boss 302 Engine. An Eliminator equipped with any of the "other" engines received the same tie rods as any other 1969 Cougar.
You are wrong!!!!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Tom,

You are wrong!!!!
Carleton,

I based my statement off of the April 1973 edition of the Mercury Edsel Lincoln MPC. Photo below, do you have some documentation to suggest otherwise? If so, please share.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Interesting. The Moog parts book doesn't differentiate the Boss 302 eliminator from the others. I discovered this year ago when I learned the hard way that the tie rod ends they sold for an Eliminator didn't fit a standard '69 (I was young and dumb).

Dave, where o' where can I get a copy of the parts catalog you showed?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
When are you cat-turds gonna quit thinking the aftermarket provides truthful information!!!? 70B302's the only one that has a FORD MPC here???? 70B302 has it right!! The Boss Eliminator was the only production Cougar to use the larger 70 style parts AFIAK. They are essentially 70 parts....so you can sell them to someone with a later car..if you do not use them! OR you update your car with the larger 70 draglink and spindles and never look back!

I don't know how many "the guy at the parts store told/sold me" or "someone posted this online" whiny butt stories I have read on the internet in the last 17 years since I invented it....but this stuff drives me nuts! Just because an aftermarket parts manufacturer lists something in a book, it doesn't make it correct!!!! The aftermarket is NOTORIOUS for bad info....

My 428CJ Eliminator used standard 69 tie rod ends as did my 428 standard car. You'da thought that they would have had the larger parts too....! Not to be.

Towcat: If you can make your 70 tie rod end off of your Boss car, fit your 69 SCJ car properly without using power tools, I will buy you a new set of tie rods. Otherwise, unless you have a set of factory parts manuals handy to refer to, you could do better to take the advice of people that may know a lot more about these cars that you own! Just because you own wrenches....don't make you a mechanic! Don't suffer that fate here....please! That is how false rumors such as those of stock tilt-away steering columns in 67 Fairlanes get started....by people that see something but don't know what they are looking at or talking about!

Chow!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Carleton,

I based my statement off of the April 1973 edition of the Mercury Edsel Lincoln MPC. Photo below, do you have some documentation to suggest otherwise? If so, please share.

Dave, I owe you an apology, I should not have gone against the man with the written word (MPC) I was thinking about the cars with competition suspension, but that was just springs and shocks and not spindles and tie rods. See you at Carlisle AFS

As for fastmerc, it sure must be nice to nave never made a mistake.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...As for fastmerc, it sure must be nice to nave never made a mistake.
And let's not forget that Al Gore is going to be PO'ed too, everyone knows that he invented the internet... :buck:

P.S. I thought I was wrong once, but it was a mistake... :buck: :buck:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts