Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well, My tie rod end snapped about 3 weeks ago about 300 yards away from my house. I managed to get home fine and was glad it happened when i was going 15 miles an hour. I have been working on it when i get a chance and the thing is so stubborn it wont come off. I have lubed it, used a pipe wrench, and hit with a hammer. NOTHING! Any suggestions on how to fix my cougar? its the driver side tie rod for a 78 XR-7. Im at my wits end. Currently its soaking in ATF which was recommended by a mechanic i know. The part thats being stubborn is not the castellated nut but where the tie rod end attached to the inner tie rod. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
you need heat , as in oxy acteleyne , bright red and hammer down!

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
^ yep. Or a handheld propane torch may be enough to break it loose too.

Heat is a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Yeah man get witchy psycho on it! Maybe spin the nut on loose and strike that until you break the taper loose (that way you won't mushroom the stud.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Just to clarify, heat is good, but can also be bad. If you heat the wrong part it wont help much. You need to heat the eyelet that the stud goes into, not the stud itself. The heat will make the eyelet open up just a little and it will probably almost fall out. I had to do that to my pitman arm when I put the manual steering conversion on. My steering valve was so sloppy that it just came apart when I put a fork to it and the stud stayed in the pitman arm. I tried a slide hammer on it and it wouldn't budge. I put heat on the pitman arm until it was red and with one light wack of the slide hammer it popped right out.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The part thats being stubborn is not the castellated nut but where the tie rod end attached to the inner tie rod. Thanks![/QUOTE said:
It sounds like you are talking about the sleeve??? Not the actual tie rod end??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The tie rod is stuck in the sleeve. I cant get it to turn. I have tried the propane torch and that didnt work. Im going to try again tommorow. The sleeve and everything has been soaking in ATF for about 3 days now. and i hope i can twist the thing off finally. The part that usually requires the fork is going to be easy. I have to go pick up some dikes to cut the pin off and then its free. And if all else fails i guess im going to have to fork out the cash and pay a shop to fix it. I loathe the idea of spending more money on this tie rod. and i wish i had an Acetylene torch but i cant have that with me at college..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Allrighty. So the ATF worked like magic and cleared the rust out enough that i was able to get the sleeve off. And with a judicious use of pry bar and a pipe wrench that thing finally came out. Now i get to put it all back together again with my new tie rod end. That and i gotta borrow a BFH to get the castellated nut thing out...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hey,
Im glad you got it loose. You can rent a pickle fork from AutoZone or Advance Auto. Then use the BFH.
BTW, Nice car for the $$!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I got it all put back together and can drive it down the road now. Except it needs a front end alignment bad. But thats after i file taxes next weekend. And i am still amazed i picked this cougar up for $480! at a dealership of all places! talk about a once in a lifetime deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts