Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a question about Tie-Coat Primer. Is there a window of time that I can apply a topcoat without sanding the Tie-Coat? I didn't read such in the directions that came with the Tie-Coat, but also the Por-15 doesn't list a window, although the message boards say it can be done---and it has worked for me with good results.
In the instructions it says don't apply any primers over the Tie-Coat, what is the difference between putting any paint, but no primers? What would be the effect if I apply epoxy primer over the Tie-Coat?

thanks,

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Mark,
I'm not familiar with the Tie-Coat Primer but if your Epoxy Primer is compatable you can apply it before the Tie-Coat "flashes" without sanding. You might want to see if there is any information on the flash time.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Ok OK OK..... Flashes??? Novice here :D What does that mean??

Don

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Paint has a Flash time. When you first apply it, it looks wet right? Well in about a minute or so, if you applied it correctly and evenly it will start to to have a dry look. That's called flash time. What I was telling Mark before is that when the paint flashes, starts having the dry look, you can apply your next coat without sanding and still have the same adhesion. This is, of course, if you are using compatable paints. For example, if you use a PPG etching primer and place a SW filler primer over it during flash time the two paints will probably chemically react and not stick to your metal etc.... hope this helps. By the way....the PPG and SW paints might work ok today....this was years ago when this happened to me and paint technology changes just like computers.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
WOW... Thanks Jeff! Talk about your encyclopedia mercurycougar.net brittania!!!! I love this site. I can fix F18 electronic systems but couldn't paint my way out of a paperbag....lol

Thanks for the gouge

Don

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to ask questions on this, because they say "it ain't paint" so I won't treat it as such.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Mark,
Got a link to a web site or something about the stuff?

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Hey all, I'm going to answer this one quickly by pulling some detals from our Product Information page for Tie Coat Primer:

"Tie-Coat Primer is highly resistant to penetrating topcoats such as enamels, lacquers, and two-component finishes (-penetrating topcoats+ refers to topcoats with especially aggressive solvent bases which can penetrate and ruin a partially cured base coat). "
(So, let it rip with those epoxy top coats)

"Allow a minimum of 24 hours before applying any topcoat over Tie-Coat Primer. Failure to allow enough dry time before applying topcoats may result in spidering or crinkling of the finish. "

djgiff's cautioned on using compatible paints when appling a second coat at the Flash point - keep in mind that POR-15 Tie Coat Primer is a non-moisture sensitive single-component polyurethane primer.

You can read more about the stuff here: http://porshop.com/tiecoatprimer2.html

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Thanks Adam, that's some pretty neat stuff. I think one of Mark's questions was "Is there a window of time that I can apply a topcoat without sanding the Tie-Coat?" I would be interested in the answer to this question also if it is possible. Apparantly you would have to let the Tie Coat cure for 24 hours but does it need to be sanded before applying the epoxy primer? In my paint experience I would say yes but?????

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I guess theres all kinds of good products out there to use.
I want the best lasting finish on my 70 like im sure everyone else does on their prodjects.Can you use a conventional primer over the tie coat primer? Say using a dupont primer? But if not is the tie coat primer compatable w/ conventional paints? In other words will there be no chemical reaction if someone uses a brand name paint over the primer? or is it wise to put a conventional primer over the tie coat before the paint process
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
The Tie Coat Primer is made to give excellent adhesion between POR-15 and any other coating. You don't need to hit it with a second primer, unless you're looking for some special characteristic that Tie Coat doesn't have.

As for sanding, if you're putting down multiple layers of Tie Coat Primer you do not want to sand between coats. And once you've got Tie Coat down you don't need to sand before you put your favorite top coat down, unless you prefer to smooth out the finish, etc. Basically, you don't need to sand Tie Coat Primer if you don't want to.

Hope this answers all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts