Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got pulled over doing 46 in a 25mph zone. However, i have a pretty good excuse... I just got out of work at 9pm and traffic was light. I pulled up to a red light only to look over and see a riced-out 4 door Grand Am (non-GT) with a 4 banger engine. This guy had it all, ground effects, limo tint, huge spoiler, the works. Because I could not see through his windows, i only knew he wanted to race because he kept edging and stopping up to the line. I knew I could smoke him off the line no problem, im running 4.11 gears with fat radials and i just pumped in some good ol' 94 octane. I dropped my auto-FMX into first and bolted off the line like a bat out of hell. I buried him so bad that when i blew by the cop he was soo far behind me that the cop didnt even see him. The cop did a full u-turn and pulled me over. I was hoping to get off as I have in the past (especially when ive had pretty girls in the car lol) but the cops were two young butch officers and obviously couldnt appreciate a classic because they looked at my car as if it were a ghetto beater (and my Cat is NICE!) and acted as if they were gunna search it for drugs or sumthing? Anyways since I have a clean record they only wrote me up for 5 over w/ 2 points which I plan on taking to court. 90% of the time the officers never show up. I dont mind the fee, but I do not want the increased insurance premiums. Owell, whatever happens, i dont think ill ever turn down a challenge, racing or otherwise.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Too bad you didn't do that here. LAPD will confiscate street racers' cars & crush them.......

·
Registered
162 Posts
You got off lucky; in Reno they would have towed your car for street racing and took you to jail! I wouldn't use the excuse I was racing a ricer, the judge will take your licence away at the very least. I don't agree with street racing, I've seen to many people get hurt; racing is for the drag strip, not for the street!

·
Registered
440 Posts
You need to learn to pick on someone your own size!!! :lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
yeloxr7 said:
Too bad you didn't do that here. LAPD will confiscate street racers' cars & crush them.......
I can't really beleive that. You get caught racing or something and they can give you a ticket or impound your car until you go get it but they can not take your car. That is ridiculous.
Street Racing is an American right and cultural icon.
But do try not to get caught...:beer:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
KeystoneCougar said:
I agree with you man, but sometimes I just cant help myself.
Me neither. I love classic muscle power displayed.
But by all means, "BE SAFE".
Use deserted streets, not in Neighborhoods.
Back roads and country winding roads etc..
:cool:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Meh, it was worth it. Fight da rice.

I got pulled over for 115mph in a 45 racing a Trans Am. I got off with a years probation, the T/A guy is liscense-less STILL (and this was almost two years ago!).

And we all know, street racing is dangerous blah blah blah, anyone here who has never goosed it on the street dont deserve to own a muscle car :)

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Let me tell you florida highway patrol are no better.I got pulled over last week supposedly doing 57 in a 35(was actually a 45mph zone) and he asked me for my licence and registration i gave it to him and he asked where i was going in such a hurry i told him work.He said i understand that, but anyway the damn idiot gave me a ticket doing 9 over (54 in a 45) and it was a 80.00 ticket.I couldn`t believe it 1st speeding ticket in 12 years.I know they have a online driving school so i am taking it to get these damn 3 points off my licence.There were 3 state troopers doing radar before a construction zone and now i got a florida highway patrol fuzz buster.Aint gonna get me again i will say that lol :lol2:
thanks
pat

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
damn i have like 3 tickets. all for speeding lol. none oddly enough show with my insurance so its ok i guess. damn things werent cheap though.

as far as the street racing laws here in SoCal. yup. they can take your car and destroy it.

http://www.aaa-calif.com/westways/0505/features/deadlygame.asp

that article said:
In Los Angeles, for example, the police can confiscate street racers' cars and eventually crush them. "We wanted to make a strong statement that L.A. would not tolerate street racing," says Michelle Rodriguez, senior lead officer for the Sun Valley area, Los Angeles Police Department Foothill Division, who's been involved with combating the problem since 1996. "To racers, their cars are everything. If you crush them, that sends a powerful message."

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah my first ticket was the month after I bought my cougar. 46 in a 20, so they said. But I slammed on my brakes WAY before that school zone I mean WAY before. The copper told me to be careful my car is dangerous...and gave me 190.00 ticket. :(

·
Registered
263 Posts
I got off my 2nd ticket by luck....

I dont have any crazy stories with my Cougar yet, because it currently doesnt have an engine or transmission in it. I cant wait until the next 2 weeks because thats when I will be putting my new engine and transmission in....

ANYWAYS....My first ticket I got when I was driving my mom somewhere. She was nagging me like crazy, and I started to get angry (I tend to drive faster). I was doing like 5 or 10 over the limit, but nothing crazy and your first tickets are always easier to get off of. My 2ND ticket was from getting out of my school after classes. My college is located up in the hills in a residential, so when you get out of the schools entrance you either go up or down the hill to go home. I always go down that hill. EVERYONE from my school drives fast on that hill. Its a 35 zone, and I was doing 50 and the stupid riced out civic in front was going faster then I was and I GOT THE TICKET. The cop never filed that ticket for the whole year so I got off with out any points on my record. :sun2:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Now I'm not gonna say that (conditions permitting) I've never street raced or never would street race, but you gotta pick your spots, and be a little selective in who you race. If a Grand Am was next to me & wanted to "run it" I think I'd look their car over and start laughing uncontrollably.

Let's face it: racing a Grand Am or some other lame car has nothing but downside: If you win, so what? You still look foolish for proving the obvious. If by some chance you loose, you look like really foolish. If you get popped by the man...well, let's just say that's not an effective use of your resources.

That's like the vanity plate I saw on a late-model 'Vette not too long ago, it said : "BMW EATER"...what a tool...I should HOPE your Corvette could take a BMW.

- Chris

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Cougar351

And we all know, street racing is dangerous blah blah blah, anyone here who has never goosed it on the street dont deserve to own a muscle car :)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
KeystoneCougar said:
Well said my friend.

·
Registered
393 Posts
COUGRRRMAN said:
Me neither. I love classic muscle power displayed.
But by all means, "BE SAFE".
Use deserted streets, not in Neighborhoods.
Back roads and country winding roads etc..
:cool:
Country roads are not that easy to find when you live in the burbs of Detroit, you'ld have to drive at least 25-45 minutes North, South, or West to find a good stip to let open on, and if your lucky to find a stretch, more then likely winter has taken its toll on the surface and they haven't fixed the pot holes or the poorly patched pavement!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I came really close to getting one when I first got the cat on the road, zipped by a state trooper doing 65 in a 45, I slowed down a bit and he caught up to me, got along side, and gave me the thumbs up as he passed me by. I was like OMG!!! he didnt just do that. I danced a jig sitting down hehe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good Luck, I must have always had the other 10% of the officers. I've never been sitting in traffic court and seen an officer not show, for me or anybody else in there.

Dave

KeystoneCougar said:
Anyways since I have a clean record they only wrote me up for 5 over w/ 2 points which I plan on taking to court. 90% of the time the officers never show up. I dont mind the fee, but I do not want the increased insurance premiums. Owell, whatever happens, i dont think ill ever turn down a challenge, racing or otherwise.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Holy thread resurrection batman!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts