Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this counts as "high Performance", but it seemed the best place to ask.
I'm converting my '70 351W 2-bbl to a 4-bbl by installing an Edelbrock Performer intake and Performer carb. I bought the parts suggested by Summit Racing for hooking up the throttle linkage, but something is missing, there's nothing to mount the throttle cable (square plastic end) to the manifold. I have used those simple brackets available from Mr. Gasket and others to mount Holley and Performer carbs on other (non-Ford) vehicles, but I wanted to ask what others are doing specifically on SB Ford installations.
Car is in Norway so parts aren't readily available or cheap, so I'm hoping to get this right the first time.
FYI, engine is stock, other than a MSD plug and play distributor that I'm adding along with the intake/carb upgrade.
Thanks!
Jeff

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Are you missing the ball stud, to hook the throttle cable to, or lacking a way to mount something to the actual intake manifold?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I should have clarified...I have the ball stud that came with the carb. I need a bracket to mount the square plastic end of the cable jacket, presumably onto the carb mounting studs or on the intake manifold.
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
No help for your problem, but this is what I did to mount the throttle cable on my Edelbrock install: I raided the local pick-yer-part yard for several throttle brackets from various Ford cars with different engines (Torino V8, Granada six/ V8, Pinto/Mustang II 4 and V8), then experimented to find the best one to use, along with the diamond-shaped piece that Edelbrock included with the carb installation kit (or was it a separate part ?). Note: I also used a 71-73 Cougar throttle cable as I wanted one with an integral return spring.

Also I noticed that this setup does not have the square plastic push-through attachment but uses a sheet metal screw to attach the cable to the bracket, similar to the way the cable is hels to the firewall.

I have included pictures of my installation.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I made a bracket and drilled out a hole so I could grind it square to make it work with that factory one. Just in case I wanted to put it back to original someday. Otherwise I'd go the way Yellow did.....

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
PS I have no idea which car that bracket came from.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
There is a guy on the Maverick forum that makes a throttle bracket to be used with a Fox Mustang cable. I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
The stock bracket will probably not work with an Edelbrock carb. Not only is the carb wider than a holley or stock carb, the throttle bracket on an Edelbrock sticks a lot farther out from the carb body.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
^^Awe man that's the ticket Bob! Coulda used that about 10 years ago.....<sigh> not hard to make one though.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I tried one of those. It moved around too much.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Another possibility is the Lokar bracket and throttle cable. The cable fully replaces the factory cable and looks pretty sharp.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tried one of those. It moved around too much.
I had the same problem when I used this type bracket on Chevys. To solve it I drilled a small (~1/8") hole through the bracket and into the intake manifold. Then I tapped in a steel roll-pin to keep it from rotating. Very cheap, and works like a charm!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I think it will if you have a stock manifold.....the problem is the mounting point on aftermarket manifolds and if you want to keep that square plastic clip

1 - 20 of 22 Posts