Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, what is everybody using as a thread sealer on your screw in studs. I used ARP thread sealer when I put the new cam in sveral months ago but haven't taken the car out for lack of new tires. That has been fixed but I just got suspicious 30 minutes ago and took my valve covers of and immediately saw small puddles of coolant on both heads. Obviously the recommended ARP stuff did not work 100%. What else is there that works?

The ironic thing is that I used the same sealer on the 6 bolts holding the Mopar 360 water pump/timing cover on. Five of the bolts hit the water jacket and there is nary a leak even though there was little I could do in cleaning out the bolt holes.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Did you bring it up to temp. the first time you ran the engine? I don't think that would matter, and when you drained the oil, how much fluid was present? Just wondering...............

Could there be anyway ONE bolt was NOT tight?

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Is it possible your intake isn't mated/sealed up? sometimes I have problems with them....

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's academic if it were one rocker stud as all would still need to come out. I guess I am also going to have to pull the intake off and redo it just in case. There are water puddles in both heads that you can see when the valve covers are off. I first got suspicious when I put a drop of oil on a hot plate and it popped a little like water before smoking. So back to square one...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts