Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the winter I will be pulling the engine out of my 1967 XR7 C code inorder to repair the rusted floor pan on the passengers side, install a/c, rebuild the transmission and the engine as well as redoing the engine compartment. I won't be doing any exterior body work this winter. Disc brakes either later this spring or next winter will of course be going on as well. My ultimate goal is a restomode that can be driven anywhere comfortibly, yet put back to stock without too much trouble. Being a C code I know there isn't any real collectors valve, but I still don't want to go too far.

This brings me to my first question about the engine. I was thinking of stroking it to a 347 and larger heads. Am I already crosssing the line? Any suggestions on a cam? The engine should be coming out this weekend, but I probably won't be making the final decision on how to rebuild it until February, so lots of time.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't worry about stroking the engine. It wouldn't be that hard for someone to find a 289-2V to put back in the car if that's what they wanted to do. As you said, this isn't a car with significant collector value; you're probably increasing the value by stroking the engine.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After talking with a few friends this morning I've decided to go all out on the restomod, rather than just a partial job this year and then the body and paint later. Be easier and cheaper in the long run to do it all now. So the body man who did the restoration on my father in-law's 1956 Chevy truck will be doing my Cougar next. I'm still going to keep it looking stock, with the exception of 3 point seatbelts, eldelbrock intake & carb, headrests on the bucket seats and a 4 speaker stereo. A/C, disc brakes will be added as well but those were factory options. It's going back to the original Inverness Green Poly exterior (I love that color) and saddle tan leather interior.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
After talking with a few friends this morning I've decided to go all out on the restomod, rather than just a partial job this year and then the body and paint later. Be easier and cheaper in the long run to do it all now. So the body man who did the restoration on my father in-law's 1956 Chevy truck will be doing my Cougar next. I'm still going to keep it looking stock, with the exception of 3 point seatbelts, eldelbrock intake & carb, headrests on the bucket seats and a 4 speaker stereo. A/C, disc brakes will be added as well but those were factory options. It's going back to the original Inverness Green Poly exterior (I love that color) and saddle tan leather interior.
Sounds nice! Keep us updated w/pics. Yes, that is a great color combination.

·
Registered
389 Posts
dude that 56 restoration looks sweet. awesome work. i just wonder how much that winds up costing hahaha.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 56 will probably cost around $40,000 when everything is said and done. Then my father-in-law will need to fork out another $10,000 for an enclosed trailer, but he's thrilled with it. The man will be 78 this December and this restoration has made him very happy.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed the engine today. So it begins...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts