Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
thoughts on this '68 Cougar GT-E clone

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-MERCURY-COUGAR-428-BIG-BLOCK-/220716538348?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3363bb19ec

Car has been for sale for quite a while on Cars Online.com. Originally priced around $19k and he's looking for about $12k now. Any thoughts on worth or value? I really like the look of the car and it would be pretty cool to have a car that has the look of a GT-E but you wouldn't worry about driving around.

best,
Jay

PS - happy new year!

(edited to remove typos)

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think it's a good deal once you start to add up what's been done so far, looks like it doesn't need alot more to be a very cool driver.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
The seller doesn't show a side shot of this car in this listing, but I recall seeing one in previous listings that showed the nose of the car awfully high up in the air. My instinct on this one is to proceed with an abundance of caution and don't, under any circumstances, buy sight unseen. If you are interested in the car, let me know. I can probably go look at it on Monday for you.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it looks like the front needs different springs or to have the current ones cut down: http://www.cars-on-line.com/37448.html

Bill, thanks..let me get back to you on that. I'll try to call the guy tomorrow and get some more information.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
A Shelby drop, new stereo and, for me, a conversion to stick shift should just about do it. I like the color combo with the interior.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Looking at the pics, no shocks. Looks pretty good for the money.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If I remember right it has been for sale for over a year I would definately have somebody look at it for you.I agree it's a good looking car, but what kind of body work has been done or should I say done right. just my two cents.good luck If you buy post some more pictures for us.thanks,mike

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I agree somebody needs to go over the car carefully. If everything is cool I think the price is pretty reasonable. It looks nice and would be a hoot to drive. The kitty is facing the wrong way - wonder if the other side is, too. Caveat emptor, but then have fun!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would gladly trade my J code and a few bucks for this. What a fun car to drive and looks to me like it would turn plenty of heads. I too would want to check out the body work and structural soundness of the car, but I doubt anyone would put that much money into cloning a GTE without doing it pretty well.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I would use extreme caution dealing with this seller.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Looks like a buy, it seems the sum of the parts at least equals the whole...But a personal inspection would be in order. For me, any car over a thousand dollars pretty much requires a personal inspection!

·
Registered
85 Posts
It looks like the front end sits the same way as mine does right now. Personally, it looks nice at a glance, but thereare a lot of fishy details.

I'd never spend $12k on a car that didn't come with a title either...

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Yeah, what's the deal with the front shocks missing? There are just empty holes in the tops of the shock towers.
Do you actually need those? :bloated:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Its a cool car. I haven't seen it in person, but it looks cool. Clean it up, do some minor fixes hear and there, then drive the piss out of it. Pile the kids in it and drive it everyday. Sell the wife's mini-van and drive this car. Don't sweat the "concours" details (it will never be the real deal).

The people that are not on this forum that know a thing or two about cars would probably snap their necks if you drove by them walking on the sidewalk.

Clones are built to drive and use, might as well.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Hello there Mr Silverton, Please send pics of your Ranchero to [email protected] Looks like you have a nice collection.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I like the look of the white one listed:
http://www.cars-on-line.com/35330.html

Still has the J code, but looks clean. Still worth having someone physically look at the car prior to getting too much in love with it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nice color. Parts wise you probably couldn't go wrong.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts