Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What causes grey smoke, going up hill, accelerating and going down hill, also obviously when changing down or up. Not black, not white, nice shade of grey, exhausts are also grey inside.
List the possibilities please, starting at cheapest and easiest :D.
Only joking re cheapest and easiest, well not really, oh well, you know what I mean.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
valve seals..... I just had a curious thing a couple months ago with the redcat... Turned the tranny modulator was bad and the engine was sucking tranny fluid into the intake... smoke was gray, not black,not white, but a very light gray, dark gray would be oil... perhaps you have a bad valve seal in the middle of the bank and when you tilt the car oil washs over the bad/non-existant seal and gets burned..

Don

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANK YOU Don, the reason for the big Thank you, is cos' you have both answered my question and solved a bit of a dilemma I had. Picture the situation, 2 guys, both V8 'experts', good guys, but tend to mouth off a little bit, specially if there's a woman near, that bit being me of course. Guy no 1, we tell him the problem, don't have the car with us, so he says
definitely rings gone, got to have engine overhaul, cost about 4 grand. Guy no 2, went past him today and stopped to chat, after long chat about all sorts of things he says 'BTW, looks like your valve stem oil seals need a look at, she's blowing grey"
Guess I am going to stick with what Guy No 2 has to say, he is also the one who reckons the right axle is bent at the back.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That tranmsimssion story is interesting, I will keep it in mind, we have had all sorts of problems with our C3 tranny on the V6 Sierra, got so used to stripping it down we can do it in our sleep. Needs to be taken apart again.
Guy no 2 also suggested we get a seperate cooler for the tranny pipes, any idea how to go about that, okay, we know what to do, but have you or anyone else out there done it before, and can give us some pointers.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
tranny cooler

is easy to install in kit form. They supply extra hose, and the ties that secure the cooler infront of the rad. Make sure its where you want it before you zip it up, cuz those ties are a B to take off. Ususally right front infront of the rad, and the instructions will let you know what lines to put where. Its a 20 minute job, even for non skilled people. :) (not saying your not skilled, just dont be afraid of it). Try not to use alot of hose, and make sure the hose does not hit the fan, or any moving parts, and secure it so it wont rub on the frame and wear a hole in the hose. :) Any car with upgrades should use a tranny cooler.

Rick

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys

·
Registered
216 Posts
What TEXREP was saying about the vacuum modulator... theres a little diaphram internally that's supposed to keep trans oil out of the vacuum side... this sometimes ruptures and sucks trans oil up into the intake manifold/air fuel mixture. Two different ways to get oil into your air/fuel mix! Amongst others, I'm sure.

Change the vacuum modulator first... theyre cheap and easy to change, and if it's not it, your not out much, and if it's the original it probably needs it anyway.

Ron.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ron, will proberly do a thorough check on the tranny over the festive season, I am sure all our automatics could do with a new modulator, also want to check out the kickdowns, seems you guys don't seem to use them much over there, whereas we seldom use the 1, 2, D, it normally just stays in D with us. our Ranchero is programmed to go from N to D, in fact it does it on its own, :).

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It does, its totally stuffed, needs about a years work on it, carb is held together with bits of wire, for the throttle everything, can't drive it with the aircleaner on, it smothers it, can't turn a corner too fast, it cuts out, she goes smoothest in reverse, when you can persuade it to get into R, the gear lever is on the steering column, hate that. You get in, start it, just move towards the gear lever and it shoots into D, she's got a mean pullaway, and can really move it on the road, so long as you don't turn a corner. Thankfully, the brakes work, and the wheels don't wobble:D

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
72Cat what year is the Ranchero?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ray. its a 1970 - Australian Version [Falcon Ute]
302 motor, everything very very std.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Theres a little 64' Ranchero for sale in the next town over from me... It's the little Falcon based unit... I keep thinking every time I drive by it "tubbed and narrowed, big block, blower..." Oh what fun it is to ride in a one horse open sleigh!!

Ron.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Buy it, join the club of the cougar/ranchero owners, there seem to be quite alot of them here, we've also go a 69 Aus. Ranchero, inline 6, in worse condition, but also goes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts