Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know I am just gonna kick myself when I read the hordes of replies I'm gonna get.......but...........
What is the difference between a 3 speed, 4, 5, 6 speed manaul box, apart from the fact that you have more positions to shove that gear stick into. When I say difference I mean....torque on pull away, fastest time speed reached, that kind of thing.
80% of cars here are manual, we have 8 manuals and 4 automatics. Which is better....automatic or manual, which is better for 1/4 mile's. Why do folks complain that they have an automatic, and this is not directed at Dano, I have heard it ton's of times, specially here, they like a car BUT its automatic. Personally, being a lazy kind of person I like automatic, when I get into one of the manual's I normally forget to gear down round a corner and end up freewheeling round desperately trying to find the right gear. Not to mind shoving it into reverse when I really want 5th, makes such an irritating noise when I do that, even worse than Stephen's teeth gritting together and grinding in silent pain as I shorten the life of yet another gearbox.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
866 Posts
As for which is better, everyone will have a different opinion. Having more gears allows you to change your rear end gears. So, if you have a 3 speed, 3.90 gears wouldn't be practical for freeway driving, where 3.00's would be. However with 3.00's you would suffer with low end. But with more gears, you can raise those 3.00 gears in the rear, and have great low end, and still have good top speed with more gears (As long as your tranny has Overdrive)

Or the other way around. You can have 3.00 gears, and have a tranny with a high 1st gear, so you will still get a good low end, and still have a 1.00 tranny gear giving you good top end with 3.00's.

My personal choice would be a stick, as they are very fun to drive. And you have more control over the vehicle (Atleast it feels that way for me)

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah..okay..........but another point in the automatic's favour is they have a nice little foot rest for the left foot, now was it your left or right ankle you broke...:)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Dayle, let me add a stupid question to this:

Does 6 speed mean: 5 forward and 1 reverse? or 6 forward and 1 reverse?
Around here the reverse isn't really counted as being a "versnelling" (that is accelleration literally, but comes down to speed I guess).

·
Registered
24 Posts
It seems that an automatic is preferred on the 1/4 for bracket racing....Helps with keeping your ET's consistent...

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Torque multiplication

·
Registered
216 Posts
Automatics are also a lot easier on rearends and such when you launch em' at 3000 rpm's... Dumping a clutch at 4 or 5 grand with slicks that are hooking up can really detonate a rear end. I'm not sure how the magic works, but Bowl mentioned torque multiplication... this occurs via the converter somehow. All's I know is, it allows me to leave the line at 3000 or so and put that to the rear wheels without a big BANG.

By the way, I just got done building a 4.86 center section for my 9" rear end with a mini spool. Not good for street driving, that's why I left my 4.11 posi center unmolested.

Perhaps ModifiedMark could shed his wisdom on this subject of torque multiplication.

Ron.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
"Dayle, let me add a stupid question to this:"
Thanks Matthijs, now I don't feel so bad, but all in all its a good question, I did not even know you got a 6 speed, what is it, 1st to 5th and 6th as overdrive. I do know that the C4 was built in 1964[4] and C6 in 1966[6] which confuses my poor brain even more. Cams and Gear ratios/read ends/ posi's[???] are something I still have to apply my brain to. :confused: :cry:

Bowl, I like the 'new' signature.:)

·
Registered
866 Posts
On the T56, I believe both 5th and 6th gear are overdrives. Which just means the tires are spinning faster than the engine, where as, the third gear of a C4/6/FMX is 1.00 meaning the engine and tires spin at the same speed in third gear.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
C4 & C6 hope to approach 1 to1 going into rear end. In actuality there is slippage with tork converter and more so with high stall units. The newer automatics have a positive lock for high speeds that removes the slippage and improves gas milage. It is this slippage that I believe gives the tork multiplying effect ( by keeping engine at higher RPM in power curve). Then it is number of fins and their angle of attack (in tork converter) that effect how much is actually transferrd to gears of transmission.

It is like the pitch and diameter of propeller on a boat effecting power of boat. It's just taking place in transmission fluid.

You would have to have 1:00/1 3rd member to have tires rotate at same RPM as engine in 1/1 transmission high grear.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey Swamper,

It's all in what floats your boat... Some guys like the detail associated with the matching numbers, restoration, exactly down to the chalk marks stuff, some guys like the rice burner-chinese stickers-fart pipes(I'm not sure why on that one) some guys like the cruiser mobiles, even guys like modified mark run around in circles in the dirt...

I happen to like the 1/4 mile ET thing right now, but even more so doing it in something unique and intriguing like my 68 std Cougar and a 302 small block. Everyone thinks you HAVE to run a big block Chevy to dragrace... well even many of those are slow. Keeps peoples heads turning, and it's one whale of a good time for my wife and two boys... My wife is addicted I think.

Ron.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"My wife is addicted I think."
Ron
Of course your wife is addicted, we females just like to keep in the background, well, not in my case, but most wives are as keen as the men, its just the MCP thing that holds them back, my friend did the 1/4 mile for the first time the other day and she came 3rd overall in one of the time trials, not cos the guys were bad, no, its cos' she kicked @ss........['70 camaro 350 :cry:].
Matching numbers, etc, thats okay, but [email protected], thats the way to go. Tell our wife to say hi some time.

Chris/swamper, you are slowly showing me the light, but got Galaxie's on the brain now, so will re-read when my head stops spinning, and my headache goes away.:D

·
Registered
866 Posts
swamper said:
You would have to have 1:00/1 3rd member to have tires rotate at same RPM as engine in 1/1 transmission high grear.
Your right, I forgot that... You'd think sitting at home all day, I would be able to get my facts straight.... maybe one of these days.. :D

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Talking about sitting home all day, hows the ankle Chris, and Rick, if you are reading this, hows it going with you?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Went to the doctor yesterday. He said it's not that bad, and in 3 weeks I can get the cast off and slowly start walking. So it will be about a 4 week break from life for me..

·
Registered
216 Posts
I know we have to be careful what we ask for, but I'm thinking a 4 week break from life sounds pretty good! Seems like things are going faster and faster all the time... kids growing up like weeds, work gets more and more demanding... Waa, Waa..., but the break thing sounds kinda cool, but maybe without the broken bone...

Ron.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Perhaps ModifiedMark could shed his wisdom on this subject of torque multiplication.

Ron. [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL, sorry Ron but automatic trans are not my thing. I know very little about them. My circle track days never included any and really I used to not be able to stand them in my daily drivers either. To me the stick shifts were always more efficient and reliable. And when the autos with overdrives first came out being as unreliable and troublesome as they were it just reinforced my opinion of them. But my mind is changing some on them, as my Cougar was a fmx, (a good trouble free trans in my opinion) it was sure nice on cruise nights with bumper to bumper traffic.

I still tend to agree with swamper on the 1/4 mile thing but I'm never down on what someone else likes. My biggest gripe about the drag racing is the electronics and cost involved with it, plus I always thought I liked to drive my car for more than 12 seconds at a time. By the way I have run a couple asphalt races with my modified and would probably have done more of that type of racing if I would have stuck with it. mm

1 - 20 of 22 Posts