Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got the new White Standard going last night. That was pretty exciting. I've never solo'd a new start-up before. All things went pretty well except that the carb was spilling out on the top vent pretty badly upon first running. I lowered the bowl depth (2 barrel Autolite Carb) and then thought all was good.

The choke is a bit quirky, but the biggest problem I'm having seems to be run ability when going uphill or downhill. My first most obvious thought is that the bowl was starving for gas, but then when I finally got back from my trip to Town last night I opened up the top and looked in there. It was VERY full(and hot, so hot it was bubbling).

Could the bowl be filling too much after shut-down for some reason? If it is too full, wouldn't I have still been seeing fuel pouring out the top vent still? If it is still too high while running, is it spilling over into the throat and flooding it? I guess that is an obvious potential problem, but I had thought that it'd have been bubbling out the top vent if it was still set too high, no?

I was absolutely convinced that I'd set the height too low and the carb was starved for fuel on hills (when it would always stall and be tough to re-start) but then this full bowl got me thinking that it was flooding.. Color me stumped.

Thoughts? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Buy a kit and put the needle and seat (at least) into the carb.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buy a kit and put the needle and seat (at least) into the carb.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention-this is a newly rebuilt carb. By "seat" you mean the rubber tip on the bottom of the needle or is there a part at the bottom to be replaced too. I can't remember what was down there..

There's a small chance I missed something;)

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention-this is a newly rebuilt carb. By "seat" you mean the rubber tip on the bottom of the needle or is there a part at the bottom to be replaced too. I can't remember what was down there..

There's a small chance I missed something;)
Needle is the needle (rubber tip too) and the seat is the nut/sleeve sort of affair that screws into the carb housing and that the needle sits in. You replaced that too, right?

Just figuring that you had a leaky needle/seat if the float level is not following the height you set using the measurement gauge they include with the kit (assuming you put the kit in the carb as opposed to buying or having it professionally rebuilt). BTW, if it is either of the latter, you would be taking it back to the rebuilder so I am assuming it is the former.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I replaced the seat too..I had a buddy with knowlege help construct it all too. Hmm..I'm gonna have to re-address the situation, it sounds. It would seem that fuel just seems to be pouring in too heavily here and my stalling is from flooding.

One thing's for sure-I'm learning!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I assume it has a fuel filter that you have replaced.

Wishing you well, I always enjoyed a new start, something about the UNKNOWN, huh!

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Autolites are a PITA to get set right - I don't care how many of 'em you've done. For some reason the floats get hung up so easy on 'em. One quick fix sometimes is to turn the thing upside down a few times shake thing good both directions. If that doesn't do it, you'll have to crack it open again (most likely scenario) and double check you float settings again, but be sure the needle is truly seated good when you do. My guess is your floats a tad high....may have to tweak it down a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts