Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sandy arrived yesterday afternoon, pretty well soaked after a long wet ride up during one of the Bay Areas (and Western Oregon's) largest wettest storms in years. The Back seat underlayment is currently being aired out. Under that back seat was a bunch of new unused screws(as someone here had mentioned very commonly found and the cleanest original paint and underlayment I've ever seen. The bottom of the seat looks like it is brand new. There was no build sheet, though, rats..yet.

The drop area in the trunk on the passenger side had a box with an emergency kit-flares, plastic bags, and a little bottle of Coke from 1972! Pretty funny. The steering wheel looks brand new. There was a lot of old crust on the vinyl top and it looks better already with a bunch of scrubbing with 409.

The Engine Bay is already a bit shiny and cleaner after some love with wd40 and Brake Kleen. I am LOVING this whole Small Block idea..it is so easy to move the hands and tools and rags around in that engine bay. What a treat. The car is so original and clean! It's a true survivor and has a lot of great reference points (at least for a San Jose car) that are really cool. The hood dowel even has some of the Zinch Dichromate color still on it.

She starts right up and has a suprisingly aggressive growl to her. The new exhaust system is pretty nice! Sandy must have wanted to sound good. She sounds a bit like a big block ;)

But mostly, I wanted to show you all the care package from Gavin S. Thanks Gavin!

Sandy J in her new home..

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thats a really nice touch. Obviously the seller is first class and recognized he was also dealing with a first class buyer. Enjoy the care package! Nice car

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thats a really nice touch. Obviously the seller is first class and recognized he was also dealing with a first class buyer. Enjoy the care package! Nice car
Sandy was the original owner and the one that sold me the car. Gavin S. is the one that has held the car for me for the last two weeks and babysat, hosted people to come look at the car, and then sent her on her way to me last weekend. Sorry for the confusion.

But yes, Sandy is a one of a kind lady too. She's amazing and very nice and very happy to have the car living a new life up here :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
That looks unbelievably good for an original car! Must have been pampered for its whole life. Looking forward to seeing it in person soon!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks unbelievably good for an original car! Must have been pampered for its whole life. Looking forward to seeing it in person soon!
Andrew,

I'm sorry I got after so much of the cleaning and such without you here..I couldn't help myself! ;)

But we can film the underside, show some original stuff all over, do suspension work and maybe power steering work? (maybe that was the jist of what we wanted to do, mostly?)

B

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Hey I totally understand about wanting to clean it up immediately, so no worries there. I'd probably do the same thing! As far as what we're gonna film on it, that's basically up to you and Don. My car also needs a steering box (well, and suspension work for that matter) so we do have a convenient backup for filming random repairs, in case it doesn't work to go film yours for some reason. I'll try not to get jealous while your car gets all the love :biggrn2:

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Nice survivor car to a good home. Cool deal.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Lets rip out that automatic and slam in a toploader!! Come on you know you wanna!! My Ranchero would be a great parts car for the transmission. Who cares about originallity. Heck, take a picture, you will always have that! Let's go back in time and be 17 again and lets drive the piss out of it............then we will restore it back to original. (A viscious cycle us car guys do, I still haven't figured it out yet.)

Just a thought.........or was that the bottle of wine talking or was it the Maker's Mark from BJ?

Cool car!! It should really shine in the sun this summer down at Homer Days. It will be nice to see on the streets of Silverton, kinda matches the town in a way. Clean and original.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hey Brian, what did you get in the way of eight tracks with Sandy, and have you tried any yet?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Brian, what did you get in the way of eight tracks with Sandy, and have you tried any yet?
It's a pretty well-rounded collection! I remember John Denver, Crystal Gayle, The Beatles, Gordon Lightfoot, Fleetwood Mac, a few more country artists, and of course the original "best of Ford's music" (or something like that!)

The player portion doesn't work, but the AM radio does. I'll be looking up a local fellow that does repairs, but haven't gotten that far yet ;)

cheers,

B

·
Registered
309 Posts
How cool is that, is the Ford tape an original 68 Ford demo tape? The others sound like good music for the era. If you can't find someone that will fix your player let me know I do have some other people to try but they are not local. I will ask my friend here in Gresham if he would do one more. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Brian,

Thanks for the nice note. I certainly enjoyed picking up "Sandy J" and watching over her. It is amazing to see such a well maintained original car.

I'm glad you liked the care package, I could not resist sending a little taste of Northern California.

All the best,
Gavin

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yepper Brian the seller has moxy no doubt. ;>) Hope you get the little things ironed out! I had a guy on ebay awhlie back that only repaired radio's/CD's/8-tracks/etc.....reasonable. Can't find it now but he fixed something I couldn't! (HOW RARE!!) Do a google on the model/repair - you may find him...somewhere in socal I think? Bang up job! --(Wish I kept closer track of him.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts