Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent abought 25 hours this past week repairing the rust in my back window bottom channel. Still needs welding completed and ground down. Jack that fixed it before made it worse by poking holes threw the meatl, followed by beating down the pitted areas and surrounding to get go bondo coverage. Had to cut out more than rust to repair the hammering. Completly replaced the bottom 4'' at a time.

DSC01114.jpg DSC01126.jpg DSC01127.jpg DSC01122.jpg

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
That took a LOOONNNGGG time to fix. Judging by the relief cuts in the curves you do not have a shrinker stretcher.
It would have made life a lot easier on you.

Great job on the repairs!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Been there, done that. I actually did the corners in 3 pieces so as not to have to make the relief cuts. Nice work though. Did you use the rear window trim to get the contour correct? Worked for me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
WOW That is some excellant work! Its kind of sad when its done and pretty most people have know idea how much work and sweat a guy has done.Keep us updated with pics.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didnt have a shrinker stretcher I wish. Dont mind the relief cut you will never see, if it were a show car all original I would. This is a tube car but I still dont like shortcuts. One of the corners had good shape to make a template to rebuilt to. Replacing a little at a time helped keep everthing close to where it was without having to make a long slow curve all at one time. Its all solid like new and will require little filler.

DSC00784.jpg

DSC00999.jpg DSC01066.jpg

·
Registered
669 Posts
See what happens if you let that window channel rust left unchecked!!:evil:

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Building a grocery gitter huh! ;>) Nice work ---- There's something about the smell of a 4" grinder that makes an ECI smile!

What part of the state you from?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bad69cat I'm 2.5-3 hours north of CR in the town where the Aveneue of Saints hits Hwy 65. My cat when done will run Cedar Falls.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts