Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
135.jpg 134.jpg 033 - Copy.jpg 032.jpg 138.jpg
This is what 6 months in the body shop has netted me.:eek2:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Was the car disassembled when you dropped it off? Where are all your parts? Hopefully, nothing goes missing.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I didn't think it was advisable to lap weld the sheet metal on a car. Or is that just one of those matter of opinion things?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Wow I'd be pissed and shopping for another one, and yes lap welding like that invites corrosion from the back side. I'm scared of the day mine is ready for how long it will take, my buddy out his 66 t bird in the shop about two months ago for paint and the guy hasn't even touched it yet and keeps taking other projects ahead of his. Seems to be the norm more than the exception now

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
If anyone is interested I know a guy with some cougar experience now! Although mine sat in his shop for six months I am pleased with is work. His metal work although he didn't do any on mine is incredible. I watched him reproduce factory tack welds! Incredible how he does things with metal. Michigan is a long way form anywhere though.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Looks like they didn't flange the panels before putting the patches on? I wouldn't say lapping is bad, as long as it is welded or dress properly on the back side too, but lapping without flanging will net horrible waves and an obviousness of the patch. I would call this a botched job that will have to be redone and not pay a dime.

Some people just don't belong in the business if they are going to half ass it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah needless to say I am pretty pissed I am going to pick it up this weekend and take it some where else. The one side is not welded yet just screwed in place This is my first restoration. Sadly my first car was a 72 gran torino that was stolen from me by the body shop while I was deployed. Oh and he still cashed my checks . I had to sue the guy to get back some money after a year of court and legal fees I walked away with 10grand. Which by the way was far less than I paid him. So after that I found this cougar and it has set for 5 years and 2 more deployments. Now that I am out of the Army and have time and money saved to do it. I was really hoping that things would go better. This truly saddens me. I think I may drag the car down to Texas where my Dad lives and find a body shop down there. Just really freaking disappointed

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sounds like you just can't catch a break...sorry to hear that. Are you able to possibly do the sheetmetal work yourself? I never had done metal work before and I couldn't afford to pay someone to do it, but in the end I'm glad I did it myself. If you have the time and patience I would just do it yourself but that's just me. I don't trust hardly anyone to work on my car I guess. Goodluck in whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I would call this a botched job that will have to be redone
That's kind of what I was thinking, but I didn't want to bum Chuck out anymore than he already is.

I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible picking the car up. As Dale would say, I wish you well.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
That's kind of what I was thinking, but I didn't want to bum Chuck out anymore than he already is.

I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible picking the car up. As Dale would say, I wish you well.
Sorry Al, I guess I can be a downer sometimes. I was more or less trying to give him an excuse or reason to not pay them anything, I guess. Honestly, I would probably even make them remove the stuff they put in and buy me new patches for the next shop, but I am sure that is a bit of a stretch.

I know how it can feel to get some shoddy work, mine just usually involves machine work. Hang in there though, it will be worth it in the end. We all know how it can be in these situations, unfortunately.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I am at the body shop picking my Cat up right now. The guy will be here in 10 mins so that I can get in and get it. He didn't even try to fight me or convince me to let him finish it. Oh did I mention that my hood is sitting outside the shop for anyone to just come up and take. AWESOME!!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Hope all goes well, I would have been pretty ticked just to see any of my parts outside! Let alone the work he did and the time he had your car. On the up side once you find and get your cat into a decent shop things should really pick up. This time of year you probably wouldn't be doing much with it anyway with the snow coming so once it is in a shop maybe come spring it will be ready for you to take it home and get started on it?!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE!!!! My Cat is safe at home where she belongs. I picked her up from the shop today. Got my $600 deposit back. He didn't argue didn't fight me just let me load it up handed me cash and I left. he apologized and Shook my hand and that was it. She is now nestled in my Garage safe and sound. Thank you for all of the advice everyone has given. I am still looking for a shop if anyone lives in the San Antonio Area and knows of a good shop I may take it down there My Dad is stationed down there and would be able to check on it regularly. Thanks again Cougar Family

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Good deal. Glad it was resolved to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Usually when repairs like those are done, it should be a combination of; flanged welds on the flats and butt welds at the ends,....or all butt welds, not unflanged lap welds. Just saying!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts