Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that I have your attention, im so dam frustrated with this ford crap. I really miss the simplicity of a 350 and all the brackets and such for the accessories.

Im still trying to mate up the brackets to the 85 block that is supposed to be the same. AC bracket for example...the cougar had a dealer installed AC, so the brackets are aftermarket apparently. They bolt to the three bolts on the front side of the driver's side head, but the bolt holes are too small to allow a bolt big enough to thread into the head to fit. The powersteering pump, i still havent gotten anyone to help me with a picture of how that dam thing is supposed to mount...the alternator is the only one that seem simple enough and seems like it mounts correctly. that and the whole 28 oz 50 oz bullschit is getting on my nerves....im just trying to mock it all up to make sure its going to fit and i have all the parts before i tear it down to clean and paint and replace all the seals upon assembly.

i really wont put a 350 in it, dont worry, but man those things were simple compared to the thousand and one bracket combinations ford used....

but i am about to give up on it and let it sit another 15 years...

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
LOL, I hear your frustration, Barney......

You could always adopt the adage, "Ford makes it, Chevy shakes it......"......

·
Registered
170 Posts
Do you need a pic of how the PS pump mounts? I can try and get a good pic of it in the next day or three. With my PS leak issues, I'm gonna be right there taking pics already.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Barn,

I'll be dipped if I can find it now, but I am relatively sure that I have come across threaded inserts meant for this very problem/purpose. For example, if the hole is 1/2" and you are trying to put a 7/16" bolt in it to mount the AC compressor bracket (I seem to recall having this problem somewhere along the line in my past a long, long time ago), the insert would have 1/2" threads on the outside and 7/16" thread on the inside (and two slots to make turning the insert into the hole possible). You would just put a small amount of Locktite on the outer threads to fix the insert into the head (so it would stay put if you remove the bolt later).

If you cannot find these (aka knifflin pin's :buck:), you could make them from a piece of a bolt too if you can accurately center the inner hole and thread it. A challenge, but do-able.

Finally, I remember (at least on the late 60's, early 70's vintage) 302W heads that it mattered which head went on which side (not that you would be looking to do this on a motor you want to bolt in and go). That is, the bolt hole on the top rear of the PS head was NOT the same as the bolt hole in the top front of the DS head. So, it mattered which head you put on which bank if you wanted things to bolt up without the headache you are having.

Hope something among these helps you.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Spoke to my buddy who owns a machine shop, he says yes they do make what I have described and they can be gotten from Pioneer, http://www.pioneerautoind.com/. However, I will be darned if I can find them!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I ran into the same problem with the new crate engine i bought, the holes for the accessories was too big, and the holes that has the right dimmension is in the wrong places, i recon they are made for newer types of Mustangs where the accessories are in other places.
My solution was this, got a set of Perma-Coil repair threads, 2/8-16 coarse threads, run the tap in the set in and out, screwed in the thread coil, and the original bolt wil fit just fine

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome suggestions I knew if I threatened chevy power I'd get useful info hahaha thanks for the help now if I could only find good pics of the ps braket I'm missing something and can't tell where it should bolt up

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well I also have a '68 302 with PS, so I'll get a pic today or tomorrow of the pump and bracket, if that helps.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The pic doesn't really show it, but does the top bolt connecting the pump to the bracket go all the way past the pump and screw into something out the back end? Coulda swore that's how I remember mine working. Granted I've only had the car four days and don't really know what I'm talking about. :)

I can't describe it right, lack of terminology. There's the bracket that's got the arrow indicated, then that bracket connects to the dark grey bracket/shield piece-- the one with two bolts and the bottom bolt is used to adjust the tension of the belt... That top one of the two, that's the one I'm talking about going all the way through and mounting into something else.

Gotta learn the terminology so i can stop saying "thing" and such.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Yes, that bolt goes all the way through, and into the cyl. head.
Here's a different style bracket, but it works the same:

As you can see in the above pic, on cars without A/C, a spacer goes between the bracket and head.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, if i had the march pulley money, i'd have the march pulleys too. but for now, its an 80s 302 out of a pickup in my 68 and on a budget haha. im missing two brackets, and have found both of them for less than 50 bucks for both...and just the hole issue to fix and i'll be set. hopefully.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts