Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have replaced the Horns and the Horn Switch and checked to make sure the there is good contact at the steering wheel. Still no horns. When i press the horn, i get a faint noise. When I press and hold the horn, I get a little stream of smoke from where the horn switch makes contact with the tab that goes into the column.

I have a pic and as soon as I can figure out how to paste it to my phone, I will.

That almost sounds like a bad ground doesn't it? Is the column grounded?

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
My horn was not working consistently a couple of years ago so I added a relay to the circuit. Now it honks every time I need it to.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah a relay is what makes the difference, but it should still work if it gets good voltage and good ground.....which I think the horns are grounded via the mounting bolt - which may be corroded/rusty. try cleaning it up and getting good contact.....

·
Registered
726 Posts
Quick test to ensure horns are ok ... disconnect the wires from the horns, then run a wire directly from the battery to one or the other horn. If it blows, it's good. The problem is in the wiring and/or switch, best solved using a relay. Mine did the same as yours; pressed the horn button (mine is rim-blow ring), just a click. Installed a relay ... blows every time.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
When you "checked to make sure the there is good contact at the steering wheel," did you pull actually the wheel, remove any tarnish or corrosion from the two spring-loaded contacts, and clean the circular channels they ride in?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Harry, where did you install the relay and what type? I have the same problem with my horns. I hooked up a temp button and horns blow every time.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I did. I got some emery cloth and a screw driver and cleaned up the groves to be nice and shiny. I also replaced the "switch". (The metal, plastic and rubber part.) I also to a grinder to the mounting points. This weekend, I plan on testing the wires to make sure they are good. This is a little frustrating.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
A good test of your switch is to put one end of your VM into the horn connector, then ground the other lead of your VM, push the switch to see if you have voltage - the closer to 12/13 the better....

·
Registered
151 Posts
My horns were almost impossible to hear when I first got my GT. Installed a relay and now sounds great.

Colin

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Kind of a long shot, 'cause I wouldn't expect both horns to be affected at once, but the air gap between the magnet and diaphragm can get out of adjustment. If that happens, the horn won't resonate, or will do so at a frequency that doesn't generate sound. Its not a real common problem, but enough so that most old Ford horns I've seen have an external screw for adjusting the gap due to wear over time. One more thing to check after you've checked everything else.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, installing a relay means that you are basically re-wiring the horn circuit? The way I understand it......a relay is a switch. Why not call it a switch? I am not very savy electrically so I kinda need to learn it.

As the car is wired right now, the electricity runs into the steering column and when the horn is pressed, the current runs through a fuse in the headlight switch and out to the horns. If I install a relay, I could bypass that fuse and headlight switch, (provided I have an inline fuse)?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Andy:

With a relay, you'll be adding a new hot wire directly from the battery (passing through the relay) to the horns.
The existing horn wire will no longer supply power to the horns. Its sole use will be to trigger a set of contact points in the relay. When they close, a full 12 volts flow to the horns from the battery, via the new wire.
It takes very little power to close the relay's contact points, so the energy drop that occurs via the rather circuitous routing of the original horn wire isn't a concern.
Yes, an in-line fuse between the battery and relay would be a good idea.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info. My dad was an electronics guy. I'm sure he know how it all works and he wants to help. Im thinking that something like this will give his noodle the exercise it needs. Thanks again for the help guys!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL - Uhhh, you better be prepared to the full 12V hitting the horns - you'll jump outta your shoes! ;>)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts