Mercury Cougar Owners banner

The "VETO"

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  TallCowboy0614 
#1 ·
FYI

Just to let everyone know the outcome of the By-law vote.
The bylaw wwas alter to read that the BOARD has the right to VETO not the President. This pasted 24-4

Now just a FYI regarding the Imperial Burger situation. Lets get the story straight.

Yes, we took a vote to go back for a third time but after the meeting had adjourned, 2 people plus myself experienced cock roaches in the bathroom and ants crawling across the food counters. .... Now what Garey Maib forgot to say is that we had a BOARD meeting two weeks after our general meeting and i discussed with everyone about changing the meeting back. it was voted on and past. so it was known by everyone at the meeting. No surprises to the board members. The next meeting is when this whole deal escalated. This should not have been challenged by a board member to another board member, especially at a general meeting. Feel free to call anyone present at that meeting if you are doubtful about what happened.

This is what brought the whole thing up regarding the VETO.
Totally unnecessary......

If you have any questions to ask me please email me off line
at mikeb@mauitoys.com or call at 818-599-5741

thank you.......

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Is this where you want to air your dirty laundry?
Are you too proud to admit you made a mistake and pulled rank because the restraunt was beneath you?

I have been trying to get you to understand for 2 months now the concept of Majority Rule.

What is the motivation for this post?
Is it for the good of the "Club" or is it Self-Serving and to make you feel better about yourself?

Now to address the board meeting 2 weeks after the "cockroach" incident, I was not at nor had any knowledge of that meeting. The only board meeting I was at was after the Chili's meeting where I challenged you. Which you, as President, should be accountable to the members. At that meeting we voted to bring to the membership vote ammending the bylaws to give the President the VETO power. Which was challenged by a member on Saturday as to the "Saftey" issue and the concern for the good of the club. It was then rewritten to the Board has Veto power and passed 24-4.

In case you haven't noticed....People are not happy.
We lost Board Members on Saturday because they are fed up.

I have been trying to do damage control for you for some time to no avail.

Let me ask you a question man to man.

When was the last time you talked about your car and not all of the politics you seem to be so interested in?

Guess what?
People want to talk Cougars. Not Politics.
Keep it up and more members will remove themselves from the club.

Garey Maib

#5 · (Edited)
NOT THE PLACE

I second the motion.
This is not the place to discuss this type of problem and I really can't beleive that you guy's in Beautiful Sunny Southern California are really arguing about a venue for your meetings.
Here in Nashville, TN. (where we have " a cockroach" or two sometimes as well), we would not want to have the critters around. If I was eating there during a meeting and felt the place was "unclean", I doubt anyone would have a problem with changing the venue. There are usually "many" places nearby to hold the meeting that would be suitable.
The "CLUB BUSINESS, COUGARS, AND ANYTHING RELATED TO THE PRESERVATION OF THE CLASSIC MERCURY COUGAR" is the most important thing that any club does.
Hang in there "CATFANS" AND KEEP FOCUSED....

You have a great club there and lots of great Cougars as well
Have a wonderful THANKSGIVING everyone.!!!!:)

#6 ·
With all due respect to you folks from the "Main Board" you are more than welcome to your opinions.

However, this <i>is</i> the place to discuss <u>our</u> club.

While I do agree that the tone may be a bit harsh, both Mike and I are passionate about our cars and the Club.

Things need to be discussed and as the MODERATOR of this forum I am going to give every member of the club a chance to sound off.

Thanks
Garey

#7 ·
Nothing to do with me, but I love having my say, why don't you compromise and try out a new place each month, or why not go to members houses, dunno how many of you are in the club, obviously if too many then thats a bad idea, but having a barbeque at each others houses might work, make a theme thing, or something.
But don't let the politics cause tension, its about the cars, the passion for the cars.

#8 ·
No one is opposed to changing the meeting place, on the contrary, we have been looking for a bigger better place as a group and also as the Board.

If you re read Mike's the very 1st one, it comes off as very condescending and trite.

The fact that he mentioned me by name and also painted me an a less than flattering light, is why I asked him if this is where he wanted to air his dirty laundry.

Thanks!

#9 ·
If you re read Mike's the very 1st one, it comes off as very condescending and trite.
The fact that he mentioned me by name and also painted me an a less than flattering light, is why I asked him if this is where he wanted to air his dirty laundry.
Hey Garey, I'm with you here, that's my point. I guess I should have been more precise where it was the tone that wasn't exactly meshing with the general flavor of MC.net. Sorry

The way I've been visiting MC.net lately is to look at recent posts on the main page. Since all posts come up there, I read this one.:(

Well, it's been nice visiting, but back to the "main board" I go.:1poke:

#10 ·
Yep...with all due respect for freedom of speech ;) I think club stuff should be discussed here (if it can't wait for meetings, which tend to be short, focused, and in environments not very conducive to being heard at car club meetings regardless - in my limited experience ;) )

I personally am just getting into the club stuff with SCCC, but let me tell ya, I can't wait to get in there and stir the sheeeeite if politics are sucking the life out of the car aspect.

politics belong on the curb, not in the club....and NOT on OUR curb - the curb on the OTHER side of the road :lol:

I really don't care where the meeting is held...personally, I don't think club meetings belong at restaraunts anyway. Too much noise, tables allow it to get too "clique-ey" over time, and it's just not the place for a club meeting.

My 2-cents worth (and the other 23 cents is a-comin...bet on it :D )

#11 · (Edited)
a tad confused

we had a BOARD meeting two weeks after our general meeting and i discussed with everyone about changing the meeting back. it was voted on and past.
Errrrr...Point of information? Did the board have the authority at that time to take this (binding) vote? If so, then we don't need a bylaw change, do we?
This is what brought the whole thing up regarding the VETO.
Totally unnecessary......
As it was explained to me, the reason the veto issue was raised was just about the cleanliness of the place...and was an issue of safety? My thought is that the veto power IS unnecessary. But I don't think that was what is being referred to above.

It's interesting because my objection to the veto change was and is simply that it isn't necessary. If there was a health issue at the place, it should be reported and the county would make our decision for us. There should NEVER be a situation in which the club president has to make a decision like that (especially when voted on by the general membership previously) by himself/herself. Nope...can't think of ONE situation that would warrant that. And it even makes me nervous that the BOARD should have that power...but that is infinitely more desireable than putting that power/responsibility in one persons' hands - regardless of the current identity of that one person.

another two cents from me (Hey, I still get another 21 cents! :D )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.