Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After rebuilding the transmission, pulling the rear end and checking my gears, replacing my axle shaft bearings, transmission mounts, motor mounts, new drive shaft, new u joints, and others Im sure I forgot to mention, I am dumbfounded. This morning I reinstalled the chunk and put the axles back in, along with drive shaft, had a buddy sit inside the car, ran it up to the speeds and I laid under the car and nothing out of the ordinary. I have the wheels and drums off.. Ive noticed there is a huge clog somewhere in my brakes line, hence when I put the new wheel cylinders on, no brakes fluid came pouring out. The line that goes into the axle housing is one huge nasty mess, IM guessing its right there. Im about to put the drums on and test again. Thinking maybe since all the crud was in the drums and the brakes werent working, I may have a issue there? Ill post again what my results are.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
It's not unusual for the brake lines to get cruded up over time.....DOT3 fluid is famous for attracting moisture - which is why you need to flush them completely every few years. As far as the shaking goes, maybe your problem is the angle on the yoke/rear end. I forget what the right angle is, but it's another possability to look at

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well after further investigation, The vibration is still there with wheels and drums off. As far as the angle of the yoke/rear end. How would i adjust that?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Well after further investigation, The vibration is still there with wheels and drums off. As far as the angle of the yoke/rear end. How would i adjust that?
Axle shims. Example: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EXP-99-400B/

You'll need some sort of protractor to measure the yoke angle. It needs to be done with the car level and weight on the suspension.

Normally, yoke/pinion angle isn't much of an issue unless the car has been radically jacked up or lowered. But since your car had the 9" replaced with an 8" from who-knows-what, there's no telling what they did to make it fit.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might I add that when I installed my driveshaft a while back, before I had it cut, and new u joints, I had to unbolt the rear end and move it to get the drive shaft in. Knowing this was no good I since had it shortened.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another thing I failed to mention was that I was rearened in the car a while back, not too hard but it did put a small ripple in the trunk.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here as some videos I took, maybe help a little, you can almost see on the back yoke that its spins and then almost looks to slow down

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Ive seen that there were actually 8" 71 cougars.
Please share this documentation, as it would no doubt be of benefit to the entire Cougar community.

·
Registered
576 Posts
What type of transmission do you have in your cat?FMX.C6 C4?maybe you have the wrong transmission mount.I know when I had my vibration in my cat it had an FMX mount in it but I had a C6 in it.anything past 55mph and it would vibrate like something was about to let go.got the proper mount installed and no more vibration.just a thought.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What type of transmission do you have in your cat?FMX.C6 C4?maybe you have the wrong transmission mount.I know when I had my vibration in my cat it had an FMX mount in it but I had a C6 in it.anything past 55mph and it would vibrate like something was about to let go.got the proper mount installed and no more vibration.just a thought.
From the one I bought I just looked and it says its for a C4/C6

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
It doesn't particularly matter if the front suspension is supported or not, so long as the car is level and the rear suspension is at normal ride height.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Nothing to obvious from the vids that I can see anyway - just for gits and shiggles I'd throw a whole bunch of weight in the back and go for a drive - see if there is any noticeable change - it's a quick way to alter the angle without doing to much work. How about if you flip front/rear tires - anything? Guess it's doing it now without anything though huh?....hmmm, developing some odd harmonics somewhere - you don't happen to have any solid motor/trans mounts do you? Maybe the rubber has hardened like a rock....?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok so I drove the car home tonight. 38 miles. the vibration is not as bad as it was but its still there and very annoying, not to mention, im worried its doing damage

1 - 20 of 20 Posts