Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife's 66 Mustang developed a weird vibration a couple of months ago and so we decided to pull it and take a look as nothing was evident from the outside, and it was going to give me the opportunity to change out the aluminum flywheel for a steel one. Keep in mind the motor had 3k on it. Found a broken piston skirt, the wrong pistons completely covered in fresh oil, a sleeve in one of the holes that had water stains between it and the block.
I had originally bought the motor from a friend who was a "reputable" engine builder working on the side through a "reputable race shop". Lesson learned the hard way.
Soooo...off to FE Specialties we went, and after some careful consideration decided the "my wife needed more power", heads and intake ported, roller cam, new springs and of course a new block with my aforementioned steel flywheel. With a way milder cam it made about 60 more horse, up to 383hp on the dyno. Got most of the fuel injection bolted on, swapping a new Edelbrock water pump on and uhhhmmm, the old road race oil pan from the Cougar.
I'm just not as excited as I would normally be because although it's done and done right I hate redoing stuff, and it took money out of the Cougar budget. Huge bummer.
But the wife is happy her hot rod will be rolling along this spring. And after all, if the Queen is happy, the Kingdom is happy.... 002.jpg RenaeKevin.jpg

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Definitely, if the wife is happy all is good with the world....

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Bummer, man.

It's getting harder and harder to rely on the word of anyone nowadays. I've been only buying components for the last 3 engines I've done so I can watch things go together and know what is actually in them. I really don't have the time for that either. I'd like to be buying crate engines, but...

Way to keep the wife happy.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You need a happy kingdom!!....I have been bitten by the machine shop I've trusted as well. Luckily they went out of business not long after my last run around with them.

"IF YA WANT IT DONE RIGHT - DO IT YOURSELF" Dang I couldn't have said it better myself! I think it's getting very difficult to beat the crate engines these days on a $ for $ basis it's almost always going to be the winner (and you get good warranties to boot).

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well in the Edelbrock sucks dept, more on the wife's car....More on the Pro Flo EFI. The tech dept just plain sucks. Just needed some clarification on the injection harness since I changed from 302 to 351. One tech guy tries to sell me a new harness, the next guy tells me to just move the injectors around and the guy on the forums tells me don't bother, it will have no effect on my application. Wow, $2700 dollars later and I'm still flyin solo because the 'EXPERTS' have no clue...
Anyone want to buy a Pro Flo EFI????

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
That sucks, man.
I can't recall anyone offhand using the ProFlo system, or I'd axe around for you.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, though I whinned and complained about it all, the Mustang is alive! Got the initial issues worked out with the Pro Flo and all is good. Just need to tune it on the road...more to follow. And in the Cougar dept, looks like I might have a buyer for the 67 Fastback. I'll be keeping the fingers crossed and maybe there will be funds to get the Bad Cat back on the track!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, finally drove the Mustang today...not to shabby. Pulls pretty hard, got the wideband O2 hooked up, just needs a little fine tuning. One thing down.....900 to go..

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey ya'll, finally back. Had a couple of deaths in the family but things have calmed down. A little bit of bitterness...my wife's Father passed, and we had been working on his 75 Corvette. Got it all done but the paint...then my mother in law wanted me to have it...uhhmm?? I guess things could be worse in life.
The Bad Cat is still in limbo, just chipping away at it. The wife's Mustang turned out very well. Got the Pro Flo fine tuned, pulls very hard. Did a gas mileage run today up to FE Specialties and it got 22.4 mpg! Not to bad. Glad to be back and sorry about the delay to the guys who PM'd me....

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Very sorry for your losses.:( My condolences. John

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Outstanding fuel mileage with north of 350hp, do you attribute this to the aftermarket F.I., gearing??
My condolences to the family.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the condolences..Yes on both Art. 3.50 gears and a T-5z. But with being able to fine tune fuel injection, I can lean it out at those part throttle areas where you'd be cruising on the highway. For example...I'm seeing 14.7 to 14.9 afr at those high vacuum low load levels. Which is as far as I want to go. This isn't a commuter or anything but I wanted to get the best of both worlds...within reason of course.
I have a buddy that's running a 392 Windsor, AFR heads and some performance stuff, probably making 420hp and it gets 15 out on the highway with the same trans and 3.25's. And a friend from NorCal SAAC just built a Cleve with a T-5, same power as the Windsor, motor in a 69 Mach and he claims he got 20 going to THill a month ago.
I wish I could say I don't care about anything but the power but the reality is at $4.25 a gallon, it's nice to be able to cruise somewhere without having a tanker truck tag along...lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts